Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Friday, July 24, 2009

Just One of Those Days

Badly Written by
Nicki Sooter Wilcoxson


Sometimes-----no matter how hard you try or how much you want to and even without warning, you find yourself without words. The words just aren't there, nothing funny or even serious flits through your mind. There are no topics or issues that you want to explore or share. Sadly, that is pretty much where I find myself these days. I have always been in awe of columnist who must produce a column of interest weekly or even daily. How do they do it?? Amazingly most of them seem to do it with what appears to be an effortless outpouring of thoughts and words that are strung together--drawing pictures of heroic actions, good deeds, political stands, critical opinions, or whatever happens to be the topic of the day or times. I suppose the incentive of writing for a job/money that depends on your work would be a powerful motivator and yet the words have to be willing to appear and be willing to be molded into something that provokes emotions, responses, or thoughtfulness in the readers.


The same can be said for a cartoonist who must tell a story that makes us laugh, delights us, or even offends us in a picture with few words. Day after day the work has to be submitted to be published. To me it isn't surprising when favorite cartoons sometimes disappear and we are left to mourn the loss of Snoopy and friends, Garfield and company, and one of my favorite families in For Better or Worse. Has the search for words and ideas failed or burned out the writers? Do they find a profound relief when they can at last lay down the pen and focus on something else?

On the other hand, I am equally fascinated by authors who year after year pen book after book that keep us salivating for the next to follow. Much of my reading is done by authors. I can't wait until they "give me" something new and I look forward to reading about the new adventures or mysteries for favorite detectives and characters. Where do the story lines originate???

I have heard that when someone experiences writer's block, it is important to just start writing until the words come. As you can tell this is what I have done today. I am not a writer or an author by any stretch of the imagination. I know the best things that I write are usually tied to a strong passion or feeling that I have for something--an issue, an opinion, an idea. I am not there right now. I am certain that this too shall pass. Life changes. Interest can be revived. (Stick your favorite cliche here.)

One thing of which I am certain, even on the days when one falls off the track, the day will come when one can get back on.

Wishing each of you a wonderful day and a week filled with favorite things and lots of meaningful words. For now I remain "wordless".

No comments:

Post a Comment