Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Food Fun

by Clara Robinson Meek



Anyone can be glamorous when it comes to dining, entertaining, decorating. Just pick up any Martha Stewart Living, Southern Living, Bon Appetite, Gourmet, Saveur, Wine Spectator magazine ----------- and the list is endless. I can tell you right now I have an excessive and irrational commitment to food. I watch the food channel when I pause long enough in the kitchen to grab a few apple slices with peanut butter for lunch.

I would like to share with you one of my favorite menus. Let's begin with a nice sashimi grade crudo and, of course, foie gras. Follow this with a simple salad, escabeche of skate with French first press olive oil. yummmmmm! Now for a bit of roasted bone marrow and parsley crostini.

Now we're getting to the good stuff................slow roasted wild salmon on dilled cucumbers and avocado with tarragon creme fraiche and Spanish Marcona almonds.

I chose a bottle of white full bodied Louis Jadot Montrechet (1999) for the above.

The dessert could be either a lovely raspberry and lemon curd roulade, or my to-die-for Grand Marnier creme brulee. A bottle of Taylor Fladgate & Yeatman 20 yr. tawny port would be perfect with either.

Of course, for this meal, I would have polished every piece of silver, drug out my best china, and made sure there were no spots on my crystal. And let's not forget the painstaking ordeal of floral arrangement. No table of mine is complete without a fresh bouquet-----and I like'em big!

Now let's look at some examples of my personal touch.

Okay, so the flowers are not exactly fresh----or real------and I haven't changed them in 2 years. I LOVE red poppies. How often do you see fresh red poppies, really? Now, let's get a closeup of my lovely bouquet. You may not have noticed an inhabitant.




That's right. It's a crow. He was so cute (in a macabre way) that I had to put him right in the middle of my precious poppies. Not ONE person has ever said a word. It's like getting a really bad haircut and everyone pretends they don't notice.


When you wrap a tree toad or a lizard around a person's napkin it is impossible for them to not notice. It even sets a certain level of expectation, as in, "I'm not getting foie gras tonight." So, I'm off the hook and can serve my fake crabmeat crab cakes. I think I may stock up on Yellowtail Pinot Grigio. WalMart has it on special for $4.97.






























Why not kick up the atmosphere a notch with a couple of spectators on the windowsill? They don't eat anything.





























Don's personal touch for the cooktop. Doesn't it look terribly French? Again, no comments. I'm beginning to think we have acquaintances lacking senses of humor--------or maybe we ARE just weird.


















Dessert. It appears my brulee torch is out of fuel. How 'bout some ice cream? And coffee. Put enough Irish Cream in that coffee and everyone leaves thinking what a wonderful meal they had, even if the decor was strange.



















The part about having a food fetish is absolutely true.

4 comments:

  1. Sheila Davis MartinezApril 5, 2009 at 12:56 AM

    HAHAHAHA!!! Those are the cutest napkin rings I have ever seen! I must have some...not that I would ever use them, but it would be nice to have them on hand just in case.

    The hanging Chickens do look kinda weird, but the crow is precious.

    So...4.97 at Walmart, huh! Color me THERE!

    You are so right about dessert. Just enough of the right alcohol fools the tongue and the stomach.
    Thanks for the entertaining reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara, this post is so much fun ... and the accompanying pictures are just priceless! I think you have secured your place as Boerne's "hostess with the mostest"....

    Don's chickens made me smile ... and that crow is absolute perfection. As for no one ever mentioning him ... you might want to consider having some sort of inexpensive "door" (or "table" I guess) prize for the first person who does.... Perhaps their own matched pair of rubber chickens? (grin)

    You are definitely my kind of weird ... which may terrify you....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driscilla Dehtan StorrsApril 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM

    I love your post! Your parties must be great fun. My idea of a party is to order pizza and watch a movie or get out Pictionary or Cranium. I have great appreciation for creative minds like yours and Don's!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clara, As much as I want to be "like Martha" no matter how hard I try, when I stray too far from tried and true meal preparation, I am doomed to failure! When I started reading your post, I was full of admiration for someone so adventurous and full of confidence! I was thinking, "wow, Clara can give me lessons!" Now I am laughing and I guess I am happy to see that I am not alone in having visions of true gourmet cuisine sidelined and tossed in the trash. Happily, I do have some favorites that I can do well, but none of that really fancy stuff which we leave to our son-in-law Dorsey. Gourmet magazines are his bibles and he makes great choices and is actually extremely successful in preparing!.

    Your decorating and table decorations are outstanding. For our grandson Cole these are real everyday accessories and we feel lucky when they aren't the real things--toads, frogs, snakes, bugs adorn the shelves, flowerbeds, and furniture. The housekeeper has been known to scream in fear from time to time. I actually have some dishes that are covered with all types of insects, and I hope to someday give them to him as I think he might be the only one of us who will truly appreciate their beauty!

    Thanks for sharing and for the laugh!!

    ReplyDelete