Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Princess Jasmine ... Pablo Picasso ... and Facebook Follies....

The Looking Glass
by Jennifer Johnston






















Victor Vasnetsov (1848-1926) painting, Riding a Magic Carpet theme

I am Princess Jasmine ... Aladdin's true love ... a beautiful Princess ruling over a golden kingdom with Al(addin), with whom I have an awesome time flying on the magic carpet!!! And ... I have a beautiful singing voice.... Well, perhaps that's a fantasy too far.... (grin)

It is pretty much a given that when we are young, particularly when we are upset with our parents, many of us have fantasies that we are actually someone other than the person we are ... frequently a kidnapped Princess or Prince of some royal family ... and that our lives would be just perfect if only our real parents ... or our Prince Charming ... would come "find" us and take us away from our quotidian existence. I do recall having a couple of similar fantasies over the years, and they were actually quite entertaining to spin and lovely to recall, even at this late date. But I digress....

So how do I know I am Princess Jasmine? Easy. Facebook told me so ... or rather, one of its myriad quizzes that proliferate like bunnies at Easter (or apparently year-'round, given their natural inclinations). Hardly a day goes by that I don't receive an invitation to take this quiz, or that quiz, from one or more of my Facebook "Friends." And when I have a slow day ... or a few unoccupied minutes ... I sometimes give in just to see what insights Facebook can give me. (There are days when I'll take insight from whatever source ... but again I digress....)

My friend Chris, who sent me this quiz, is Princess Ariel, ruling the magic kingdom under the sea.... Chris is also Lily White ... but that's a whole other story....

Okay ... I'll buy into being Princess Jasmine. Jasmine has been one of my favorite scents for as long as I can remember, and I am inordinately fond of magic and magic carpets....

Another quiz I took recently was "Who is Your Celebrity Boyfriend?" Interestingly enough, Chris and I would have the same "celebrity boyfriend" ... Colin Farrell, the typical "bad boy." Facebook goes on to describe this Irish Celtic hunk as one of the hottest men around, and says "his baby brown eyes can swoon any woman." I think Guinevere the Druid Goddess may have a total affinity for Colin ... or certainly his type ... as well. However, since she has "poofed off" to parts unknown again, I can't really check with her on this. I'll just have to rely on my close personal knowledge of her proclivities....

I've always had a soft spot for smoldering Irish types with killer eyes (think Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in The Tudors) ... so okay, let's concede Facebook may be onto something here.... Of course I also have a thing for blond Germanic Celtic types like my darling Yahn. And for.... Uh, moving on....



Steel Magnolias movie poster
Reproduced here citing "fair use" provisions of U.S. copyright law


This past weekend I succumbed to the lure of the "Which Steel Magnolias Character Are You?" quiz. And Facebook tells me that I am the Julia Roberts character, Shelby Eatenton Latcherie ... because I am "a breath of fresh air ... the girl next door, and you love to laugh! You may make impulsive decisions because you would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special. Although you're a Southern belle at heart ... you might get caught doing things from time to time that 'frighten the fish'...." I must say this begs the question: The girl next door to what??? Never mind ... and moving on again.... (grin)

Sheila Davis Martinez commented on my results from this quiz: "So true! I love the part about 'thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.' That is so YOU!!! ... lol...."

Several people seem to have taken this quiz. My friend Chris and Sharon Simmons Wadley (Harold's sister) have "discovered" that they are Ouiser Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine's character) and that they are "confident, self-reliant and comfortable speaking your mind." [Gotta say, there may be a little bit of Ouiser in me, as well as Shelby.] Ouiser also "may have cared what other people thought about you in the past, but you're over that now. As you say, you're 'not as sweet as you used to be.' You're comfortable in your own skin and often say what everyone else is thinking, although they'd never dream of saying it aloud! ... You're witty and can be brash and sarcastic, but deep down you're a real softy. You are used to showing a hard outer shell, but sometimes you don't know what to do when life crumbles around you. It's during those times you need to lean on your girlfriends...." Well, what's a girlfriend for???

Then I took the "How Weird Are You?" quiz. Some may not consider it a major "news flash" when I tell you the Facebook Quiz Wizard divined that I am "Weird. You are the person who laughs at all the non-funny parts in a movie theater, just because they reminded you of something that happened seven months ago. Everyone looks to you to be the life of the party because of your spontaneity. You can act loud, wear fuzzy slippers in public and be downright weird. But it's 100% you! Good luck, Sherlock Holmes. You're on the edge of slightly weird (a forest with a river) and scary weird (the whole damned ocean)."

Wait.... Sherlock Holmes??? I thought I was Shelby Eatenton Latcherie ... and Princess Jasmine.... A Southern belle in harem pants and halter top with a deerstalker hat??? Talk about scary weird.... And I'm confused enough already.... (grin) But I've got to draw the line at those "fuzzy slippers in public".... Perhaps some simple ruby slippers, three crisp clicks of the heels, hold onto Joss, spinning spinning....

Sheila says of the results of my "How Weird Are You?" quiz: "I know all of this is true. I have seen you in action! I will forever remember ... one evening in Las Vegas when the three of us [Yahn, Sheila and me] went to Zumanity." I must say that being onstage with the cast of Zumanity (more than once) definitely constituted weird ... but so much fun!!!!!

At this juncture I should point out that the Facebook Fairy determined that Shee-Ra is "Extremely Weirdo ... the type to go through Wal-Mart screaming 'What Would [Willie] Do???' ... no problem talking about anything with any random stranger, and going to Burger King to ask for a Big Mac. You have everyone watching you and you don't care. Just as long as you're having fun. Even if you're alone and the people staring think you should be committed. ... No one knows what to expect next from you." Sheila admits in a Facebook comment that some of this certainly fits.... And she (and Facebook) asserts I'm weird.... Shee-sh!!!!

Facebook thinks that Sue Yager (CHS Class of 1966) is "Normal." Sue is convinced she needs to take the test again. Hang in, Sue ... maybe the FB Fairy was out to lunch, had overindulged in fairy dust (or both).... Still, as far as I am concerned, Facebook is getting a little scary weird ... or there is a giant all-seeing eye following me....

I also took the "Which '80s Movie Defines You?" quiz, sent to me by Sharon Simmons Wadley, who apparently is "The Goonies. Never say die." Facebook opines that I am "Say Anything. To know you is to love you." Awwwww.....



Pablo Picasso

Sharon (a prolific quiz-sender/-taker also sent me the "Who Were You in a Past Life" interrogatory. Turns out Facebook thinks she was Marilyn Monroe ... "radiant, happy, whimsical and daring." (And needy and suicidal??? Nah....) Facebook thinks that I was Pablo Picasso ... "revolutionary, stubborn, an active lover [blush], enjoy breaking the rules...." Well, maybe ... but if I was Picasso or Sharon was Marilyn, there's gotta be something other than a "past life" thing going on here, since we were alive when our purportedly "past" personas were. Maybe a little transmigration of souls.... And while I do believe in past (and future) lives ... and I don't necessarily mind being Pablo Picasso even though I enjoy being a girl ... I would definitely get something done about that nose.... (grin)

So, as you can see ... there's a lot more to Facebook than just keeping up with your friends ... exchanging updates and pictures and sometimes witty repartee. In addition to the quizzes, you can also do interesting things like SuperPoke your friends ... "hit the beach with" ... "sit by the fire with" ... "be fabulous with" ... "hug" ... "bite" ... "go green with" ... more risque stuff.... (grin) The SuperPoke characters are cute little sheep, penguins and other whimsical "critters." You can even "adopt" a SuperPoke Pet ... mine is a sweet little flying dragon named Fluff Baby ... although SuperPoke Pets seems to be holding little Fluff Baby hostage.... Grrrrrr....

Enough of this! Gotta go "fling a thong" or "throw a sheep at" somebody. Watch out for flying sheep ... and thongs ... and really watch out for flying sheep wearing thongs.... (grin)

)O(

My Photo

12 comments:

  1. Love it - I laughed several times. i do see where an identity crisis could arise from Facebook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, thanks so much for your comment and for joining us on the blog ... but you just couldn't resist sending me the "Which Crazy [Chick] Are You?" quiz, could you? BTW, I note that you "are" Sylvia Plath ... talk about a crazy chick.... (grin)

    Okay ... I took it ... and Facebook says I am Sinead O'Connor:

    "You are one fierce [chick]. You are very independent and will take no BS from anyone but your personality is actually sort of quiet and shy. You are a natural beauty and you are very comfortable with your femininity. You don't feel the need to overdo it or go out of your way to fuss over your looks. You don't want to distract people from what you stand for and the talents you possess. You are very idealistic and will go to any extremes to stand up for what you believe in even if it creates controversy and people don't understand. Relationships can be hard for you sometimes because men feel threatened by you but time again they come running to you and realize that you are actually very sweet and motherly....until they cross you." (grin)

    Jeez ... a Southern belle in harem pants and halter top with a deerstalker hat and a shaved head....

    As my FB Friend Michelle Belle says: "I think it's time to step away from Facebook." Little cold compress to the forehead....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't mess with the nose. I love his face AND his nose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila Davis MartinezApril 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM

    You covered many topics and it made me think, "What the heck am I doing with my time???" As much fun as it is, Facebook takes up way too much time. However, I wouldn't miss a single comment from any of my friends. I love knowing that Denese is in Childress, holding down the fort, Jimmie Ruth is traveling all over Texas helping the indigent get proper dental care...that one just about makes me cry.

    I love knowing that Marsha can still run and play tennis since I can't run so great any more, and I love that she keeps us updated on Larry.

    I love hearing from Sharon Wadley with all of her little comments and tests.

    I have a friend Down Under whom I am getting to know a lot better because of Facebook and there is my friend Kathy who has been very quiet because she is so darn busy expanding her business to Australia and Hawaii.

    We would have never known about Steve Fanning without Marsha and Facebook, and OMG Diana Mock...she is just the sweetest thing.

    Facebook has brought my sister out of the woodwork. What can I say...it is a good thing.
    I don't know if I could live without my little Superpoke Pet, Cheeky. He is just so darn cute.

    I can't think of any more names right now, but I am thankful to have the connections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila Davis MartinezApril 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM

    OH...I forgot about my friend Slim Richey. Slim is a crazy musician, one of what we call and "Austin Blueblood" You will just have to listen to his music to appreciate his talent.

    Anyway, this crazy man has started making up his own tests, one of which I am going to post here. I hope you get his sense of humor and enjoy his results.

    Slim Richey completed the quiz "Which tarot card are you?" with the result: The Fool The Fool is the card of infinite possibilities. The bag on the staff indicates that he has all he needs to do or be anything he wants, he has only to stop and unpack. He is on his way to a brand new beginning. For the Fool, the most important thing is to just go out and enjoy the world. To see what there is to see and delight in all of it.

    And this last one. hope you enjoy.
    Slim Richey completed the quiz "Which animal are you?" with the result: Party. The Texas Party Animal: Loves parties. Often hairy. Prone to wild antics, out-of-control dancing, substance abuse, crude sexual humor and enjoys inappropriate nudity. Found in pubs, clubs and parties (imagine that). His language skills are simpler than that of the ordinary human. "Hey y'all watch this!" "cool", "I dig it", "how 'bout it babe", "can you dig it?"

    Slim and Francie Meaux Jeaux have been married forever. He still calls her "My Bride" I love that man and all of his craziness.
    Facebook has put them back in my life.

    So...that is all folks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me------the thing about Facebook-----it brings out the stalking in me. I love to see what's going on with everyone, and I have reconnected with many people, otherwise on the fringe.
    I think I'm still private enough, or maybe more introverted than I care to admit, to just put everything out there.
    Enjoyed your take on all the quizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Clara, I do like to visit FB to see what is going on with everyone--my friends and my family. I have always been somewhat of a "lurker" in the social aspects of the Internet. Lurker would be the Internet name for stalker. Alas, neither word is very attractive! I am not able to motivate myself to participate in the extra curricular activities such as the quizzes and gifting, but it is fun to watch those of you who do.

    Jennifer, as I told you earlier your post will either lead the curious into investigating FB or serve as proof positive to others that people on Facebook really need to get a life! (not a past life--a present life) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicki, have you noticed the plethora of "hits" we've had from foreign countries ... Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Australia ... and Washington, D.C. (considered a "foreign country by some ... grin) ... on this particular post? Amazing ... although I think probably less a tribute to my writing than to an intense interest in Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.... Still, amazing....

    You and Clara ... and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and his doppelgangers ... are free to "lurk" in my vicinity anytime. It is fun to see what people we know are doing from day to day.... And I do think those who haven't joined Facebook are missing something ... even in the "mindless quzzes" department.... However, as the Wicked Witch said: "These things must be done dellll-i-cately" ... or at least with more restraint than I have shown recently....

    Nick, I just love your comment about getting A life ... but they're all so much fun!!!!

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, you are relentless.... Yes, I took the "Which Shakespearean Character are You?" quiz....

    I am Cleopatra ... and those who want to read what FB says about Cleopatra will have to check out my FB page....

    A Southern belle in harem pants and halter top with a deerstalker hat and a shaved head ... in search of an asp, although I must say I've known a few in my day.... (grin)

    BTW Chris ... I note that you are Lady MacBeth ... and stop wringing your hands.... (grin again)....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon Simmons WadleyApril 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM

    I read your blog,LOVED IT!! You have such a creative mind. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon, many thanks for your comment, and the lovely compliment! So glad you read and enjoy the blog. Do feel free to leave us a comment any time ... you have your own unique and delightful voice ... and I enjoy "chatting" with you on FB....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  12. And now Facebook has given me my very own Barbie name: I am Mardi Gras Barbie!

    Chris is disgruntled Barbie....

    Sue Yager is Street Walker Barbie....

    Okay ... really gotta give this a rest....

    Laissez les bon temps roulez!!!

    )O(

    ReplyDelete