Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers ... and Ice Cream Patches....

written by Driscilla Dehtan Storrs



The traditional Chinese character for love shows a heart in the middle of the pictogram

On April 16, during a heavy rainstorm, Robert was driving to get me at work, and he was hit. He was driving his car - an Altima, our best car - and a pickup truck made a left turn into the door on the driver's side. We were glad Robert was in his car (though I loved that car - black - we called it a diplomat's car or a Mafia car, depending on our mood) because it was simply a bigger car and protected him from what could've been terrible injuries. Even so, we spent hours in the ER because there was an abnormality in his neck. He spent one night in the hospital for observation, and we spent several hours thinking he would be going for neck surgery. After all the studies (x-rays, CT, MRI), it was decided it was an old injury, either congenital or a childhood injury that had healed years ago and caused him no problem.

Last weekend Dara and Ellie (our grandchildren) were here from Victoria; Ellie was competing in a gymnastics meet. That Saturday morning, we were on our way to the meet when another car ran a yield sign and hit us - two blocks from our house! I never saw a thing. I was putting on lipstick and heard Robert say, "Oh, damn." Robert doesn't swear, so I knew something was wrong, but we were hit before I could say anything. This time we were in my car, a Toyota Corolla. Robert was driving and the hit was on his side. From the pictures, they hit "nose to nose" and then hit right at the gas tank - I don't know who "bounced" for the second hit. People came from everywhere. One young man came to Robert's window several times and asked, "Are you okay?" He was on a cell phone, and I think he may have been the driver of the other vehicle, but I'm not sure. One woman stood by Robert's window and reassured us that someone had called an ambulance, so just sit still. It was surreal. Robert and I were taken to the hospital by ambulance - both of us in neck braces as a precaution. We were worried about Robert's head and neck. I kept telling them I hurt where the seat belt was and I bit my tongue.

In the emergency department, they looked at my tongue and said there was a pretty good bruise and a cut, but they wouldn't need to suture it! Yikes! The thought of stitching up my tongue was pretty frightening! We both got checked out pretty good. Robert was fine. There was no change from the studies from 9 days before. I have a broken rib on the left side where I apparently hit the console. My tongue has healed - though I think there is a tiny "chip" missing from the very tip. And I have incredible bruising from the seat belt. My face and my right leg and arms were not bruised. The rest of me is pretty beaten up.

One of the things that stands out in my memory from that day is how kind everyone was - the policeman who gently took the insurance information out of my shaking hand, the ambulance personnel who took care of us and told Robert when I was reaching for his hand, the x-ray technician who tied the hospital gown for me because I hurt so badly and had no flexibility, the same x-ray technician who fastened the clasp of my necklace for me when I was too shaky to do it myself, and the friend who left his riding lawnmower and came immediately to the hospital sweaty and grass-covered to provide a ride for us. I'm convinced that kindness is one of the best gifts we can give each other.

We missed Ellie's first competition - the trampoline, which is her favorite. But I was there for the other two. It was great to see her - she's wonderful! - but the walk through the convention center was very slow and very painful!

Monday was orientation for a new group of medical students, and I felt like I had to be there. Things come unraveled at the beginning of a rotation, and it wasn't fair to ask someone to step in at that point, so I dragged myself to work. In fact, I've gone to work every day until today, and I'm taking a sick day just to rest.
We haven't heard officially on my car, but I think it's totaled, too! How many people total 2 cars in 9 days? With neither accident being their fault? At this point, we're in Robert's huge work van. I can't drive it. In fact, after the first wreck, I had said that if the van had been hit, I probably would've sent a thank you note to the person who hit it. Now it's the only vehicle we have, and I'm very grateful we have it!

With all of this going on, I hadn't even been reading the newspaper, so I didn't know Sherry's husband died! I read about it on the blog. I wish I had known on Monday so I could've gone to visitation. I've tried to call Sherry but I haven't reached her yet. I talked to their son briefly. My heart hurts for her and her family.

Robert was reading a book by Calvin Miller, a friend of ours through numerous conventions and student programs. There was one passage that Robert read which referred to hand-holding being the best indicator of a good marriage although every relationship would have some icy patches in the road. But when Robert read it to me, he read "icy patches" as "ice cream patches." I love that! How tough can life be if you hit an ice cream patch? I think we are currently experiencing an ice cream patch, and I'm confident that it will take us to even better times.

Be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment