Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Sunday, May 10, 2009

I wish I had said that!

Tea Time
written by Nicki Sooter Wilcoxson


Shortly after I turned 50, I received an invitation to join AARP so that I could receive all of the benefits and information that were a part of this process. I remember feeling a bit insulted and certainly not excited to be invited to become a part of this “elite” group of in my mind, “old people”. After all my mother was a member of AARP and that alone would squelch any desire that I might have to admit that I was old enough to join in. Of course at that point I tossed all information pertaining to AARP in the trash and continued to remain in denial until I was almost 60. By that time, Jim and I had begun to enjoy the benefits of getting senior discounts on movie tickets, hotels, and coffee. Additionally we had retired from the work force and could no longer hide from the aging process. In fact we had even forgotten why joining up with people so like ourselves was such a terrible thing to consider doing. Therefore, when my next invitation to join came in the mail, I sent my application fee with no qualms at all.

A few week later my first issue of AARP: The Magazine arrived in the mail and since I am such an avid reader, I began to explore the current issue. To my delight I was instantly hooked on the articles and information that I read. Surprise, Surprise! So many of our best writers, artists, authors, and other literary contributors are among the aging and seem to be more than willing to share their experiences, advice, and humor with the rest of us. There is rarely an issue that I read that I don’t stop at least once and admit to myself with more than a twinge of jealousy that darn it, “I so wish I had written that, or done that, or said that!” This was the case last fall when the September/October 2008 issue arrived. As I scanned the cover bearing Sydney Poitier’s handsome face (I loved To Sir With Love so much!) I was immediately intrigued with an article entitled “50 reasons to Love Being 50+.” Naturally, my first thought was, “Wow, this would make a great post for the blog.” I put aside the magazine thinking I need to make my own list before I read what others have written so I can be original, as well as clever and funny in my own right! Ha! Maybe I could have been all of these things when I was nearer to 50 than way past the + part. I thought; I stressed; I asked Jim for help, and I was totally brain dead when it came to thinking of reasons to love being 50+. Frankly, beyond the senior discounts and retirement, I couldn’t think of any reason to love being old, much less 50 reasons. I admitted defeat, but I couldn’t get past being curious so recently, I pulled out the issue and settled down to discover what I was missing.

First of all I now realize that I was in need of a serious attitude adjustment! After all we might be old, but we aren’t dead! I am now convinced that there are really terrific reasons to love being 50+ and yes, once again I admit that darn it, I so very, very much wish I had thought of at least ONE of these great reasons! Perhaps some of you read this article. I do hope so and that you were able to recognize some of these examples of good reasons in your own life. If you haven’t read the article, grab a pen, paper, and, of course, a cup or glass of tea and see if you can come up with some of the reasons on your own. I am sure you can if you can pull yourself off the pity pot which is what I really needed to do so go for it.

Okay, compare your list with some of my favorites that I read in the magazine and then I hope you will go online and read the whole article. I promise that you won’t be sorry.

Reason One: “Because you can spoil the grandkids with sweets”

This one was written by Abigail Thomas who writes about her love of cooking/baking and the hazards of baking sweet things for one person. When the grandkids come she celebrates by baking and sharing. She wrote, “I was allowed three desserts in a row at my grandmother’s house. I like traditions, and I am passing it on.”

Wow, this is one of my favorite things to do for my grandkids, too. I don’t dare bake for just Jim and myself. We would eat it all and love every bite, but I love baking when the grandkids come and they love it, too. Baking and decorating dinosaur cookies with Cole was a joy and baking chocolate cake for Jordie’s birthdays and other family events always reminds of how he used to literally role his eyes back in his head when he took his first bites. It was bliss for him and remains so even today.

Reason Eight: “Because Sex Gets Better With Age” (written by author Elizabeth Benedict)


You’ll get a “no comment” from me! LOL


Reason Ten: “Because men can use “midlife crisis” as an excuse for any embarrassing, highly questionable activity.” Given examples are body piercings, bad toupees, love-handle surgery and more.”


Reason Twelve: “Because You Get Better At Crossword Puzzles”—we’ve lived longer and have larger vocabularies and we know all of those obsolete words like “Phonograph” and “mimeograph”


Reason Eighteen: “Because Our Music Rocks”


Jennifer has convinced us this is really true and reminded us of all the good old songs.


Reason Nineteen: “Because you’ve been embarrassed so much, you’re all out of chagrin” Written by David Bradley who recounts some of his embarrassing moments and then he states, “it struck me , now that I am fifty-something, that the most embarrassing thing I’d ever do was probably something I’d already done. So I checked my fly and I stepped onstage in a state of grace beyond disgrace, beyond chagrin.”


Reason Thirty-seven: “When you get older, hopefully you’ve developed the smarts to know that if you wake up in the morning and you’re vertical and your kids are healthy, that’s 90 percent of being happy. That’s It!” Written by Judge Judy.


Reason Forty: “Because you actually enjoy going to High School reunions” Written by Bill Newcott


He writes “And yet these later reunions are somehow more pleasant than those in years past. The smoldering one-up-manship has pretty much quenched itself; you’ve filed away a lot of the old jealousies and insecurities that dogged your younger years. At last you’re free to enjoy those fleeting connections with your youth.”


Hey, I wish we had discovered this before October, 2008! Be sure to read this one. He is telling our story!


There is no way that I can include all 50 of the reasons so I have touched on a few of them. The other reasons are equally wonderful. Truly it is impossible to read this entire article (and it really isn’t too long) without experiencing a burst of optimism and pleasure and even pride that we 50+ people are special, capable and not finished yet because we have so much going for us and so much to share! I needed to hear this very badly!


If you can’t find your issue of this magazine, happily you can access the article online. I encourage you to take the time. It will make you laugh as well as give you hope and confidence in the future.


At the risk of being redundant, I just wish I had “written all of this myself”!


No comments:

Post a Comment