Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Goin' For the Gold ... or the Gold-Plated ... or Just Goyen....

The Looking Glass
by Jennifer Johnston

File:Academy Award Oscar.jpg

Photograph by Anne Siegel

I had planned to write my next post (which of course is now this post) on matters which may be of concern to us as we wander deeper into the euphemistic twilight of our years. However ... we have had such wonderful contributions from Raenell and Betty and Clara and Nicki since my last post, I am postponing (grin) that topic to talk about something which is of more immediacy ... since I am firmly and hopefully convinced that most of us are not going anywhere for the next week or so. (I have often said that I am a creature of hope.)

So ... let's talk Academy Awards ... Oscars!!! This is a subject of great interest at our house. It is likely that some of you couldn't care less, don't go to/enjoy movies, haven't seen a movie since you were traumatized by Old Yeller back in the '50s or since John Wayne went off to that big round-up in the sky. [Sidebar: I must confess I have not watched a Walt Disney animal movie since Yeller bit the dust ... I cried for daaaaays ... nor any other movie where the animal hero dies at the end ... just can't take it!] Nevertheless, I suspect that there are many who wouldn't miss the Academy Awards telecast ... the glitz, the gowns, the interminable speeches thanking everyone the recipient has ever known ... and Enough Already with that!

Anyhoo ... the Academy Awards ceremonies have been big in our "social season" (grin) for as long as we've been married (41 years in May) and even back into my junior high/high school years. Gonna go on the record here that there has never been a host as good as Bob Hope was ... even the very competent Johnny Carson and the okay Billy Crystal ... certainly not Whoopi Goldberg... ack! I am reserving judgment on Hugh Jackman (definitely a hunk, but a host?) until after the Sunday, February 22 telecast of the 81st annual fete of the purported crėme de la cinema.

Yahn and I are reviving an old tradition this year ... our formerly annual Academy Awards party. No cast of thousands ... just some friends sharing a few favorite libations and making small wagers on the outcome of the Academy voting. We'll print out ballots with all (not just the biggies) of the categories and people will kick $5 each into the "pot" (I almost said the "kitty" ... but our cats react sooo adversely to to any suggestion of being kicked ... which of course we would never ever do ... but Calamity always knows these things). Of course the person who correctly picks the most winners collects the loot at the end of the night. In ye olden days (1968 to about 1988, we referred to it around our house as "the Yahn and Jennifer Benefit Gala" ... since invariably Yahn or I would always win. For the past few years we've just competed with each other, for chores, or whatever ... and I must say that I am ahead of Yahn at this point. We are generally good at this (despite a couple of spectacular flame-outs) ... some might say slightly psychic ... even though we usually don't see the majority of the films until after the Awards.

Kodak Theater, Los Angeles, Home of the Academy Awards Ceremony

So many intriguing movies were released last year ... most of them in November and December. Several years ago, we opted out of going to a theater to see films ... just not thrilled to have to deal with people talking in their normal voices while the movie is running, yakking on cell phones, wandering back and forth in the aisles, or bringing their kids (or grandkids) to an obviously inappropriate film (violence, nudity, sex, language ... sometimes all of the above) and then letting the little darlings run riot and wreak havoc all around. So we're presently anticipating their Pay Per View debut to catch some films we really want to see: The Reader and Revolutionary Road (with the muy-talented, often incandescent Kate Winslet, who is due to win ... but more about that later); The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (which Sheila loved and I know I will too); Milk (the dramatization of the life and times of gay activist Harvey Milk, murdered along with Mayor George Moscone in San Francisco in 1978 by nut case Dan White ... who subsequently committed suicide after he was released from prison too soon after getting a light sentence by employing the notorious "Twinkie" defense); Defiance, starring Daniel Craig (the latest James Bond ... and IMHO not up to Sean Connery's standards ... but then no one is!) and Liev Schreiber in the true story of Jewish partisans who fought the Nazis in the forests of Eastern Europe during World War II; Frost/Nixon, apparently wonderfully directed by previous Award-winner Ron "Opie" Howard, and starring Frank Langella (a total fave of mine) and Michael Sheen; Doubt, with the redoubtable Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman, both previous Oscar winners; and of course, this year's "Cinderella" stealth favorite, Slumdog Millionaire, about which I've read wonderful things, starring the totally refreshing Dev Patel and Freida Pinto, directed by Danny Boyle.

Also receiving attention this year are The Dark Knight (which we have seen on PPV); Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood (who got shut out for Gran Torino); Vicky Cristina Barcelona (absolutely love Javier Bardem, but have a personal rule against watching Woody Allen movies); and The Wrestler (it's gotten some good reviews, but I have no desire to see it and am not particularly fond of Mickey Rourke, recent rehab notwithstanding).

[Sidebar: When the ads for Gran Torino ran here, one of the hype lines said: "Clint Eastwood gives the performance of his life!" Well yeah, I guess.... He's been giving the same performance for the last 40+ years ... so I suppose it is THE performance of his life....]

Best Picture (1920), reproduced citing "fair use" provisions of U.S. Copyright Law

So let's visit the categories and nominees for this year's fete ... and it is helpful to note that at-home Academy Awards competitions are frequently won or lost in the down-ballot nominations for Cinematography, Visual Effects, Costume Design etc. Bear in mind that these predictions are based solely on my reading, TV watching and my feelings ... the vibes ... and I am not responsible for monies (or honor) lost on incorrect guesses. Also, you may infer a lot of "IMHO"s prefacing and interspersing the following comments. And, as ever, I reserve the right to change my mind up to and including the very minute before the telecast begins.

For the Best Animated Feature Film, the nominees are Bolt, Kung-Fu Panda and Wall-E. I think you can probably bet the farm on Wall-E. Without reciting the list of nominees, I think Waltz With Bashir (though animated) is going to take the Best Foreign Language Film category. Also without reciting the nominees, I'll go with Slumdog for Cinematography; Benjamin Button for Visual Effects; Slumdog for Sound Editing and Benjamin Button for Sound Mixing (never hurts to split a vote); The Duchess for Costume Design (period pieces generally have an edge in this category); Benjamin Button for Art Direction and Slumdog for Cinematography (same theory about splitting votes); and Benjamin Button for Makeup.

As for Animated and Live Action Short Films, and Documentary Shorts and Documentary Features ... who knows (or really cares, except the makers ... although I think Man on Wire
just might take Documentary Feature). Throw a dart or consult the crystal ball ... unless of course you are a true aficionado and have seen them, therefore have a true opinion.... (Yahn and I are not even that dedicated....) For Music (Song) ... haven't heard any of them, but I have the feeling that it will be one of the two nominated for Slumdog ... gonna take a chance on "O Saya" but it's strictly a guess). Since I think it may be Slumdog's year, I'll give Slumdog the nod for Music Score too....

The nominees for Writing (Original Screenplay) are Frozen River, Happy-Go-Lucky, In Bruges, Milk and Wall-E. In contention for Writing (Adapted Screenplay) are The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (adapted from a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald); Doubt, adapted by John Patrick Shanley (who won a Pulitzer Prize and a Tony Award in 2005 for Doubt, the play); Frost/Nixon, screenplay written by Peter Morgan, from the original Broadway production; The Reader, written for the screen by David Hare (formerly nominated for The Hours); and Slumdog Millionaire, screenplay by Simon Beaufoy (previously nominated for The Full Monty). For Original, I'm gonna go with Dustin Lance Black for Milk (unless the spirits whisper something else in my ear before next Sunday ... and I understand In Bruges is really good,) and for Adapted, with some reservation because of Slumdog's momentum, I'll pick Shanley.

Nominees for Best Actress in a Supporting Role are Amy Adams for Doubt; Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona; Viola Davis for Doubt; Taraji P. Henson for Benjamin Button; and Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler. I am personally convinced that Tomei's Supporting Actress Award for My Cousin Vinny a few years ago was a fluke; Ms. Henson (of The [now defunct] Division on Lifetime cable, who performed the song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" at the 78th Academy Awards presentation) will be "so happy with the nomination." Amy Adams and Viola Davis may cancel each other out ... so, by a slight edge, I'm going with the charming Penelope Cruz.

Nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role are Josh Brolin for Milk (playing "Twinkie" killer Dan White); Robert Downey, Jr. for Tropic Thunder (a clever turn, but I don't think it'll win the Oscar for him); previous Best Actor winner Philip Seymour Hoffman (for Capote in 2005 ... although Toby Jones was better in the same role that same year and didn't even receive a nomination for his work in Infamous, which also featured a great turn by Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee) for Doubt; the late (and might have been stellar, had he lived) Heath Ledger for his role as "The Joker" in The Dark Knight; and Michael Shannon for Revolutionary Road. Tough category ... primarily because of the sentiment for Heath Ledger's last eligible role, although Hoffman is good in everything I've seen of his, and I've read that Josh Brolin nails Dan White (as he did the title character of Oliver Stone's W). Brolin was so good in No Country for Old Men, too. By a hair, I'm going to predict that Ledger will win posthumously.

Best Actress nominees are Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married (a Tomei-type fluke, I think); Angelina Jolie (absolutely love her for her acting and her wonderful humanitarian work, and she is a previous Supporting Actress winner for Girl, Interrupted) for Changeling; Melissa Leo (a long shot, but possibly the proverbial dark horse) for Frozen River; for Doubt, the marvelously-talented (although frequently one-note) Meryl Streep (secure enough in her gifts to do Mamma Mia!, which BTW I thoroughly enjoyed, even with Pierce Brosnan's "singing"); and my personal favorite in this category, Kate Winslet for The Reader. This one is basically between Streep and Winslet ... both fantastic from what I've read/heard/intuited ... and no one in his/her right mind would ever bet against Streep ... but I'm going to go (I think) with Winslet here. Streep has won Oscar previously (twice, and has been nominated a phenomenal 15 times!) and Winslet is overdue. Streep recently won the SAG (Screen Actor's Guild award) in this category, but Winslet won the Golden Globe and the BAFTA (British Academy Film Awards) this year. Seems there may be a bit of nationalism going on here ... but not all U.S. Academy voters are Americans, sooooo.... Really a toss-up....



Kate Winslet (photo authorized under Wikipedia Commons)

For Best Actor, we have Richard Jenkins (say, who?) for The Visitor, in a reportedly moving performance; the superb Frank Langella (the most romantic Dracula ever!!!) for Frost/Nixon; Sean Penn, apparently turning in a terrific performance as the title character in Milk; for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Brad Pitt (another wonderful actor, a concerned humanitarian and just a great human being, along with his partner Angelina Jolie); and Mickey Rourke on the "Redemption Ticket" for The Wrestler. Redemption and rehab notwithstanding (and probably to be short-lived), I don't want Rourke to win. I would be happy with Pitt, Langella or Penn. Jenkins may be great, but another year.... The vibes and personal preference tell me it's going to be Sean Penn, although his "maverick" reputation could hurt him with Academy voters.

The Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director are frequently (but not always) related; indeed they are all connected this year, so to wrap up, let's tackle them together. We have David Fincher (his first nomination) directing Benjamin Button; Ron Howard (his fourth nomination, with a win for A Beautiful Mind) at the helm of Frost/Nixon; the űber-edgy Gus Van Sant behind the camera for Milk; twice-nominated Stephen Daldry (The Hours and Billy Elliott) for The Reader; and first-time nominee Danny Boyle for Slumdog. On occasion the Academy has split on these categories ... but I don't think so this year. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we might see Van Sant and and the uplifting Milk take these awards, but there are still a lot of homophobes in Hollywood and elsewhere (witness the slighting of Brokeback Mountain a few years ago, for which Heath Ledger should have won), and Ron Howard for Frost/Nixon might have a chance ... but "critter of hope" that I am, I've gotta give the gold statues to Boyle and what is touted as THE feel-good film of the year, Slumdog Millionaire. In these times, we all need a little feel-good....

And speaking of feelin' good ... my longtime friend, on-air personality (DJ) and regular blog reader Johnny Goyen, who did the tapes and later CDs for the Class of '63 of Childress High School (which some of you have ... see Raenell's comment to Clara's post) has a free (repeat, free) Internet-accessible slot on Play It, where he's put together a lot of the music we grew up with back in the day. I enjoy listening to it while I'm at the computer, and I think many of you might like it as well. It has a wide range of music, from Elvis and Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry to Roy Orbison, Ray Charles, Patsy Cline and others. Click on this for "Good Timin' '50s and 60s":

... then all you have to do is click the triangle-shaped "play" button and enjoy!

As for me, I am cleaning the house (and hopefully will be cleaning up! ... grin) for our Academy Awards "do." And ... as the denouement for the possibly apocryphal story about the filming of the "Exodus" scene from
The Ten Commandments goes: "Ready when you are, C.B."

)O(

My Photo

24 comments:

  1. Whoa...what a post!

    I will say that I was totally intrigued with the Benjamin Botton story. I adore Brad Pitt and will watch anything the incredible actress Cate Blanchett does. She was outstanding in Shipping News many years ago and seems to never lose her touch. The story aside, the makeup and artistry in this movie were fascinating, even down to Blanchett's aging ass. I didn't see a lot a unforgettable acting...well, maybe I did.

    Kate Winslet has never gotten her due honors and I hope this time she will. I have not seen The Reader even though it sounds like a pretty good story. At any rate, ...drum roll here please...Gran Torino is one of the best stories, best movies, and best acting I have seen in a very long time. This is probably the BEST EVER for Eastwood...Even though he has not been nominated and he will not get the AA, he and the movie are my favs. It is a MUST SEE.
    Slumdog Millionaire was terrific! The story kept me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning. In fact, I was so engrossed in the story that I forgot to pay attention to the acting. I am thinking that this one is all about the story, not the acting.

    I haven't seen Milk, but it is next on my list. I am thinking that it will walk away with a lot of awards. Just my little ole opinion. Sean Penn is definitely a very talented actor.

    Enjoy your party, it sounds like a blast. If I were going to be there, I would probably dress as Maggie(Liz Taylor) in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof! We just look so much alike!! LOL...kidding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    Thanks for the heads up info for the AA. Like you I haven't seen any of the nominated films, but I hope to at least see Slumdog Millionaire at some point.

    This morning on The View they had two movie critics with their predictions for the big winners.
    For Best Supporting Actress, the both selected Marisa to win, but both acknowledged Cruz as a possible winner.

    For Best Supporting Actor, Heath Ledger was selected to win, but Sean Penn was a possible favorite and both liked Brolin's perfomance.

    For Best Actress Kate Winslett was the favorite to win, but they couldn't rule out Streep

    For Best Actor, they said this was most difficult category in that there were several possible winning performances. I think they selected Rourke, but admitted this one is wide open for any of them to win.

    Of course Slumdog was predicted to be the big winner.

    A bit of trivia that I am sure you know was a discussion of who were the 2 actresses who tied for best actress one year.

    A second intersting discussion revolved around Kate Winslett's character in The Reader in regard to opinions about "was her role that of a sympathetic character".

    Your party sounds like mucho fun. I know we will watch, but it is never as much fun for us as it once was when we saw more of the movies.

    Of course, one can't forget the upcoming Barbara Walters interviews. I haven't figured out yet how the Jonas Brothers qualified for the program as I thought it was all AA related.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelia,

    Jim and I saw the Gran Torino also and really liked it. I haven't been teary in a movie in a long time, but this one did make feel really sad. We both gave it a thumb's up.

    I once heard that the best performances are those that make us forget the actors and see them only as the characters in the story. So often with some of the big stars it is hard to get past the big name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from Johnny Goyen. I love your new blog & read it daily. It's great! As I read the entries, I feel like I'm getting to know all of you. Really nice. Thanks to Jennifer for putting a link to my play.it music station "Goodtimin' 50's& 60's". My best to all of you, and I hope the music brings back great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila, thanks for your great comment! I too am a great fan of Cate Blanchett, as well as Kate Winslet! I can hardly wait to see "Benjamin Button" and "The Reader" ... and "Revolutionary Road" which didn't earn a nomination for Winslet as it did at earlier awards ceremonies this year.

    I have heard that "Gran Torino" is really a great film, and I do plan to see it. Clint Eastwood has a wonderful body of work, both as an actor and director, over the years. Still, I couldn't help but comment that he essentially seems to have played the same character (at different ages, of course) for a number of years. Certainly a lot of the "greats" of the cinema did the same thing ... John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Clark Gable, etc. And they are still GREAT, as is Eastwood. Thanks for the recommendation.

    I think you would be a hoot as Maggie the Cat. Maybe I'll come as Kim Novak since people have told me over the years (admittedly a few years ago) that I resemble her.

    I am SO looking forward to seeing "Slumdog Millionaire" and the other films mentioned.

    Nicki, your comments were also wonderful. As for the bit of trivia about the two actresses who tied one year ... of course they were Katherine Hepburn for "The Lion in Winter" and Barbra Streisand for "Funny Girl." Remember that truly awful see-through pantsuit Streisand wore? Somebody shoulda told her....

    Johnny, your comment is so very appreciated ... as is the fact that you are such a regular reader of the blog. So glad you enjoy it ... and I know our other readers will enjoy listening to "Goodtimin' '50s and 60s." It is a daily habit for me, and I always hear such great music, some of which I haven't heard in the looooongest time!!!

    ********

    Now ... I was so sorry to hear of the death of our classmate Jimmy Lassen. I last talked with Jimmy in (I believe) the Fall of 2007, when Nicki and I were making a concerted effort to locate as many of our classmates as we could. I was able to reach Jimmy's brother David, who arranged for Jimmy to come to his house later and talk with me. We chatted for about 15 minutes, but there was no mention of his illness.

    As I have written on the "Reflections" blog, the last time I saw Jimmy was at a little pub called "The Quiet Man" in Dallas in the mid-1970s. Yahn and I were sitting on the patio when a long-haired dude came out from inside the pub. I took one look at those gorgeous eyes and said: "You're Jimmy Lassen, aren't you?" We probably talked for about 30 minutes before he went on his way.

    My sincere condolences to Jimmy's family.

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correction

    I listed Sean Penn as a possible winner in the Best Supporting Actor Category and, of course, he should have been listed in the Best Actor Category.

    Apologies to Sean Penn who complained and demanded a correction. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still love the Oscars even if it's no longer any kind of real recognition of quality film making. I take that back, the Oscars probably never was about recognizing quality film making. The old studios used the Oscars to promote their stars and product (movies). The studios have broken up, reorganized, and reinvented themselves over the years, but it's still a rare film from outside the remaining major production houses and/or distribution companies that gets much recognition. Never the less it's fun to watch the rich and glamorous pretend to be just folks while wearing cloths that cost several times my annual income. They are usually pretty cloths if a little odd. I mean can you really think of any civilian event that some of those cloths would be appropriate for.

    Ah well, Angelina Jolie is our modern Garbo with a little Joan Crawford thrown in. It may be totally calculated, but she is the best at the languid, over the shoulder glance since Veronica Lake. George Clooney is our Cary Grant, and so on and so on. Every year I look forward to the parade and hold my breath hoping my fave will get the little statuette. In spite of my natural tendency toward cynicism, I watch the Oscars just as if it really mattered, and my enjoyment is deep and real. 50... 60 years I've been suspending disbelief in favor of glamor and magic. I have absolutely no intention of stopping now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer and Yahn, I love the fact that you'll be watching the Academy Awards, too. It has been a family activity for us for several years. The winner from the previous year is responsible for putting together a "prize basket" of items symbolizing nominated movies. Last year, for example, there were Band-Aids for "There Will Be Blood," Ibuprofen for "Sicko," a Barbie doll for "Enchanted" and so on. Last year was also the first year that our granddaughter participated(just a few weeks before her 6th birthday). She chose "Ratatouille" for anything it was nominated for, anything with the word "Butterfly" or just randomly pointed to a line on the list. We thought it was cute - until she came up with more points than most of us. It suddenly became very serious. It felt a little strange each time a nomination was presented to ask, "How did Ellie vote on this one?" Eventually it was Ellie's mother that won the prize basket, but we all got to nibble on a little humble pie.

    We'll be watching the Awards, too. In fact, you've done such good research, that I may borrow some of your recommendations for my own ballot. I'll let you know if "we" win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Driscilla, what a lovely story about your granddaughter Ellie ... and the "gift baskets" sound like such fun, and so appropriate to the "occasion." I just might return your compliment and "borrow" a bit from you guys....

    Or perhaps I should have you put me in touch with Ellie before our party. Children often exhibit intuitive wisdom that we sometimes ignore as adults. Now, has Ellie indicated a preference for Best Picture this year??? (grin)

    Thanks so much for the delightful comment....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear the news about Jimmy Lassen. His mother and mine were in the hospital at the same time and so we were born at Childress General and shared a birthday. He was a fun person to know. I remember his big smile and his great eyes. My condolences to his family.

    We’re watching the Oscars, too. My Super Bowl! My husband says I’m picky about books but I’ll watch any movie.

    True, it’s all hype--I subscribe to Variety and see all the ads “for your consideration.” You never saw such promotion frenzy and carrying on. And, there are occasionally “sympathy” wins, and sometimes people win just because it’s about time. Paul Newman should have won an award looooonnng before they gave him an honorary Oscar for his “body of work”. Then, he won for “The Color of Money”, playing his same character from “The Hustler.” I’m still in a snit because the Bee Gees didn’t win for song or scoring “Saturday Night Fever,” none of those #1 hits were nominated. Guess what the winner was? “You Light Up My Life.”

    Jenn, I agree with most of your choices. Like you, I haven’t seen most of the pictures, only three: In Bruges, The Visitor, and Kung Fu Panda. (That last one was chosen by our grandsons, ages 4 and 6. I took a short nap.) But, crazy fans that we are, we’ll still argue over who ought to win whether we’ve seen it or not! We get a feel from what we read, tv commercials and clips on talk shows. Art Direction and that kind of stuff I’ll leave to Yahn who’s the expert here.

    Our differences are as follows: Best Actor: Mickey Rourke (don’t like him, but he’s cleaned up at every other award show)

    Supporting Actress: Viola Davis

    Best animated: Kung Fu Panda (just because I’ve seen it and it was well done) Isn’t this usually a Disney win?

    Costumes: Australia (the clothes are gorgeous and Nicole Kidman looks better in anything than Keira Knightly) *meow*

    Director: Ron Howard (you’re right, the best director and best picture should go together, but it seems they rarely do) I think Howard made something from nothing. That’s an accomplishment!

    Documentary: Trouble the Water (hey, we’re not done with Katrina by a long shot)

    I don’t even want to talk about the music. (see above snit) This, too, is usually a Disney win…some silly song from a cartoon.

    Adapted screenplay: Frost/Nixon (again, something from nothing, and I watched the original debates)

    Original screenplay: In Bruges (I saw it…interesting movie….I think it was in black and white)

    Now, I’m not bettin’ anything with you….I’m retired and have no gambling funds set aside, and I don’t want to do anyone else’s chores. The winner between us will just have braggin’ rights til next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, dear LK ... as always, you raise some salient points, and I cannot fault your thinking on a single thing, even when we disagree.

    Yes, the BeeGees were absolutely shafted by the Hollywood establishment regarding their wonderful (and now classic) music for "Saturday Night Fever." I probably wore a layer of enamel off my teeth as a result of that egregious slight. "You Light Up My Life" ... ack!!! Treacle, treacle, treacle.... And you are absolutely right about the award going frequently to some "fluff" from Disney ... although there was "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" which somewhat broke the mold (grin) a few years ago. I suspect that sometimes I hold out hope that the Academy will have evolved from the '50s ... but I am often wrong in my Pollyanna assumptions. I wouldn't be surprised to see the song from "Wall-E" get it ... just disappointed.

    Of course you are right too about the great Paul Newman being slighted (wrongly) for years. Kinda like Elizabeth Taylor being passed over because of the Eddie Fisher scandal and then being given the Oscar for "Butterfield 8" (a true clunker) just because she almost died.... And when John Wayne won for "True Grit" ... well, the cognoscenti knew that signified that we was a "goner"....

    As for Mickey Rourke, you may also be right there although I would hate to see him get it. He has "cleaned up" at a lot of awards shows ... except the Screen Actors Guild (Academy voters all) who gave it to Sean Penn. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Rourke ... just disappointed ... so am hopeful the Academy will get it right with Penn.

    Viola Davis is really a serious contender and competition for Penelope Cruz ... and if she and Amy Adams don't cancel each other out, she may get it. I would be absolutely delighted if she did. Indeed, it was only by a hair that I didn't pick her to win....

    Ron Howard is a Hollywood favorite and (I understand) an all-around good guy. I will not be disappointed if he does win ... but I think I'll stick with Boyle and "Slumdog Millionaire."

    If "Slumdog" does well, I should clean up this year. If not, I will have to count it among my spectacular flame-outs.

    Feel free to visit "Snit City" ... and the blog ... anytime. You always says such clever ... and trenchant ... things.

    Love you....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed the post. For many years we never saw the movies until after the awards. Being retired has afforded us the pleasure of making a "movie run". I call it that because we usually work it in just after Christmas, see 5 or more movies in one week, then don't go for another year. We go to nominated films and have a lot of fun analyzing the award possibilities.

    We have friends who have a party every year, complete with costumes, prizes, and my favorite, dishes with movie themes. I'm sure there will be Slum Dogs, Pigs in a Blanchett, Pitt fired s'mores, etc.

    Don is best remembered for his Billy Bob look alike from Slingblade--------uummmmm, biscuits and mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Clara ... what a comment!!! I loved it!!!

    I almost choked on my coffee on "Pigs in a Blanchett" ... too funny!!! And you say you feel like you have nothing to say! I beg to differ as I sit here snickering. The "dishes" sounds like something I might want to "borrow" too ... like Driscilla's party basket....

    Now ... you know I have to ask ... are there any pictures of Don in "Slingblade" mode??? Oh do share....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gotta add for Johnny G ....

    I'd been listening to "Goodtimin' '50s and '60s" this morning as I did "my thing" (flashback! flashback!) at the computer. Switched over to CNN just a while ago, watched f0r 5-10 minutes ... then FLED back to "Goodtimin'." You are a lot more fun than CNN ... grin....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clara, re: your "Procrastination" post....

    What you people need is a big dose of hypothyroidism and then all your excuses for procrastinating are built in. I have found it the primo excuse for staying in my chair to watch a movie, putting off chores, taking a nap, etc. “Sorry, dear, I’m just so worn out from this thyroid thing. Don’t think the meds have kicked in yet. Could you do dinner tonight?” See, it’s not one of those illnesses that is so bad you have to worry about it (as long as you are being treated), but just legit enough that it can be used. I’m shameless.

    I’ll add my thanks, again, to J. Goyen for the CD he made for Jenn and she shared with us. It was a fair bit of work he did—quite a production. There’s narrative about things we did in high school woven around our favorite songs from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear LK, I don't mind for a minute being "shameless" ... as probably several might attest. Gonna have to use that hypothyroid thingee (I am actually hypothyroid too) ... but perhaps I ought to wait until Yahn recovers from his surgery and illness.... Is that procrastination??? (grin)

    Also LK ... a big Happy Birthday (and many more) to Wayne....

    For those who don't know of it, several years ago (actually at the time of our 25th graduation anniversary), my friend Johnny Goyen did a 90-minute tape for me on the CHS Class of 1963 ... mostly about me and the Naughty Nine, but there are commanlities of reference for everyone who attended Childress High School during those years. About 10 years ago I prevailed upon him (he really IS a GOOD friend) to transfer the tape to a CD, and then to add music and expand it to three CDs ... talking about our experiences in Childress and at CHS, and playing so much of the great music that we loved then.

    I've given copies of the CDs to many in our Class ... not only the Nine, but Nicki and Clara and Sheila and Mike Spradley and Joe Don and others ... and I do have extra copies. So, if anyone would like to have the CD set, make sure I have your address and I'll be glad to send it along to you. (It's FREE, BTW ... if that makes a difference.) I love sharing memories with old friends....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay guys,

    On Monday, we need a good fashion discussion regarding what everyone wore--who was hot and who was not! Of course, it is only fun if someone really screws up by wearing a swan dress or something equally horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you remember the Bjork special ensemble. Yes ... a discussion of fashion would be fun!!!

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Back to "Voices From The Class of '63". I'm still happy that many of you enjoy the "Memories" Jennifer & I did many years back on the cassette/CD's ...Music & Memories really take us back. It was a real blast putting those stories..music etc. for the Class Of '63. I still read your blog daily...or at 4:30AM...

    To Jennifer, thanks for listening to "Goodtimin' 50's & 60's" during your early morning hours. I continue to refine the music of the 50's & 60's. Thanks as well to all on this blog who have taken time to listen to the music I've worked on for countless hours. If you have any ideas or songs that you have not heard....Let me know! Best to All! Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to let everyone know that Nicki and I think it would be fun to put up a post-Academy Awards blogpost on Monday, the day after the awards. We can comment on all sorts of things, including who wore what (and why they shouldn't have! ... grin), most tedious or idiotic acceptance speech (we all remember Sally Field's "You like me! You really, really like me!"), most moving acceptance, who got robbed, etc.

    I'll get the post up as soon as I can on Monday, and hope we'll get lots of comments. The response to this post has been just fantastic ... and the comments are just wonderful! Thanks to all of you....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jennifer, you asked if I had any pictures of Don in "Slingblade" mode. I could go take a picture of him right this minute and it would apply, as he is in his element------outdoors getting the garden dirt ready for spring planting. That man loves dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Clara, I will forgo any obvious comments about "dirty old man" ... barely ... grin....

    LK, upon reflection, I think you may be right about "Trouble the Water" ... although "Man on Wire" should definitely be in contention. This was one of the categories I said to just "throw a dart" at it. Who really knows? Still ... Katrina is powerful. I think I'll probably switch my vote between now and the ceremonies ... and I'll let you know. Remember, I reserved the right to change my picks up to the minute BEFORE the telecast starts....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay ... I am officially (but still subject to rethinking before the Awards telecast starts) changing a few of my "predictions" (grin) in some of the Oscar categories tomorrow night.

    In the throw-a-dart category of Documentary Features, I am going with "Trouble the Water" ... Hurricane Katrina trumps Philippe Petit ... although "Man on Wire" is supposed to be very good.

    For Documentary Short, the dart has hit "The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306."

    I think the winner of Foreign Language Film may be "Departures" ... "Waltz With Bashir" probably has too many political overtones.

    For "Song" ... dart says "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire" ... rather than my earlier pick of "O Saya." (Although LK does have a point about Disney film scores....)

    Still waffling about Writing (Adapted Screenplay). As previously stated in my post, it's likely to be between John Patrick Shanley for "Doubt" and Simon Beaufoy for "Slumdog." So far I'm sticking with Shanley ... but Beaufoy just might do it if "Slumdog" sweeps....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  24. The movies were great. I have seen most of the good ones. However, I did not watch the AA because the winners get too political.

    ReplyDelete