Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Procrastination

Written by
Clara Meek


We all know all about it. I don't think I need to link you to a dictionary. When Nicki asked me to contribute to the blog, I was truly sincere about jumping in. Since then I have found LOTS of reasons to procrastinate. I'll list a few.

1) I can't come up with a name. I ran a long list past Nicki............Mindless, Nadaville, Much Ado, Squeek, et al. She contributed many herself, then emailed me back saying I didn't need a name. (I read between the lines----JUST WRITE)


2) I'm not a writer.

3) I'm intimidated by the writing of Jennifer, Nicki, Raenell, Betty. Writing appears to be effortless for them.

4) I have realized how sloppy I've become regarding spelling, punctuation and any other rule of writing I may have learned-----it's just embarassing, and no reflection on the many good teachers we had growing up in Childress.

5) I have a tendency to believe that there are very few people interested in what I have to say.

6) I actually have very little to say.

7) My best ideas occur when I wake up in a fog in the middle of the night. I am amazed at my cleverness, only to wake up in the morning with a very dim recollection of brilliance.

8) Sometimes I actually get a great idea during the day, rush to the computer, pass the laundry room on the way as the dryer is buzzing, stop to take care of that, and forget that I was on the way to the computer with a truly remarkable idea.

9) I can't seem to find the time. YES, I am retired----and totally unaware of the day of the week. I actually began this post while volunteering at the box office for the Boerne Community Theatre. The phone was not ringing, hence a window of time. I began to think about my time. I also volunteer for Threads of Life, painting memento boxes for parents of stillborn babies and babies who die at birth. I am truly happy to share my talents this way. I also spend a great deal of time grabbing volunteers to help me make t-hats (headcovers for women who lose their hair to chemo). I began making them from t-shirts from the American Cancer Society's RELAY FOR LIFE, and the Komen Foundation's RACE FOR THE CURE. All my recruits have come from Curve's ladies. I also volunteer my time for one 9 year old art student.

10) I work out at Curves 3 days a week and take a Tai Chi class one day a week. I love both. I take an Apple class one day a week, and hope to retain a fraction.

11) I waste a lot of time on the computer in a non productive manner.

12) I spend a LOT of time on the computer trying to make sense of what I tried to learn at my computer class from a teenager who was born with a computer, speaks geek at mach speed and thinks I'm an alien.

13) It takes a lot of time to have meaningful conversation with your spouse. "What do you want for dinner?" "I don't know------what do you want?"

14) Two dogs take time. When they are in they want out. When they are out they want in. I can't complain too much. Don is their major caregiver. I dispense lots of hugs & pets.

15) Personal hygiene-------people, it takes TIME to tend toenails, fingernails, hair, skin, teeth.

16) Facing the day with eyebrows takes effort and time. I refuse to leave the house without them.

17) Then, there is worry. That list is endless. It takes time to counterattack with positive thoughts, mantras, deep breathing exercises, prayer, and whatever works for you.

18) I also read lots-------we'll talk about that later if anyone is interested.

Speaking of time, if you have read this far, I've managed to waste a few minutes of yours---------which can be a good thing
.

6 comments:

  1. Clara,

    I think procrastination should be banned from the dictionary and certainly from our lives. I am one of the worst procrastinators of all time and I hold it personally responsible for many of my problems. Sometimes I can find a reason to procrastinate even when there isn't a reason. Is there a Procrastinator's Anonymous? I need help!

    1) I really do like your post and I apologize for any undue stress I might have caused in the pursuit of the perfect name! I know that in due time it will come and be perfect.

    2) I personally think you are a good writer. If you can make me smile, laugh, cry, or think, then you are good! (and you do)

    3) I assure you that writing is not effortless for me. I just close my eyes and let my fingers do the talking--can't you tell.

    4) Thank God for spell check!

    5-6) You have much to say. I have always thought you to be one of the most interesting people I know and I am sure I am not alone.

    7-8) Ouch, I have done this, too. Drives me crazy!!

    9-10) I am in awe of what you do as a volunteer. Sounds like you are taking care of your mind, body, and soul. I'll bet they love you in Boerne. Send us a photo of your t-hat.

    11-12) Oh yes, I know I have reached to the depths of time wasting on the computer when I find myself playing Solitaire!

    13) Oh my, I thought this conversation only took place in my house! Hardest decision of the day. The other meaningful conversation takes place over what to watch on tv tonight.

    14) At our house we play the "one kitty in, one kitty out" game all day long.

    15-16) One of these days, I might never get dressed or "made up" because it takes longer all the time to become "presentable."

    17) Worry, it kills our souls and sucks the life out of us. Must stay in the moment!

    18) Now you are talking--I look forward to hearing about what you are reading. I never get to do enough of it, because I let all of the above get in the way.

    Thanks for making me laugh, smile, and think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meek Speaks...finally.
    Clara, I love your post. What a perfect subject for each of us. You offered 18 reasons, I could probably offer 100 more. They might be a bit lame, but they would be legit! My main reason for procrastination is that I have now reached a point where I find life to be a lot more interesting and I take to time to indulge. I also move a lot slower and I like it that way. I try to no longer offer excuses for taking my time and I try to avoid situations where I might have to lie or come up with an excuse. I generally say that something else got in the way, whether it is taking the time to daydream, sleeping an extra 30 minutes, or taking an extra long hot shower and shaving my legs.

    I will have to say that for years, you have been my source of inspiration. Any time my creativity needed a jump start, I called Clara. After our conversations, I always felt energized and ready to conquer!

    You are a very interested and interesting person and you have a
    wealth of interesting subjects from which to draw your inspiration to write. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the comments on the retirment story, a few posts back. I would like to say to Johnny Goyen that I have had many hours of pleasurable listening to the "50's/60's oldies CD that you burned for Jennifer and she shared with the "naughty 9" as we were. Many trips have included listening to those great tunes and reflections of memories past. Humming and singing out loud those tunes can make your heart young again and brings a smile to your face (which by the way improves your appearance, not to mention your attitude). Great time, great friends, wonderful memories NOT to be forgotten. Thanks for he memories (I believe there's a song there somewhere)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clara, as I read your post, it popped into my mind that if I didn't spend so much time trying to figure out what can wait until tomorrow ... I wouldn't have enough to do today! (grin)

    Seriously ... there is nothing wrong with your writing, or your thought processes ... and I am so happy to see you make your debut post on "Voices."

    My friendships with you and Nicki are absolute treasures of my life ... and only came into being the last few years. Even though we "knew" each other back at CHS, I didn't have close friendships with either of you until "recently" (anything under 20 years ago is "recent" it seems). Indeed, if memory serves (and it usually does), it was you who suggested Nicki contact me about writing for the "Reflections" blog ... so I thank you for facilitating that wonderful experience (and Nicki's friendship). I am blessed to know both of you....

    Your volunteer work sounds interesting ... and needed. I have also found great satisfaction in volunteering my time to some good causes. It enriches my life, as it does yours....

    Raenell, thanks for the comment about Johnny and the CDs. Johnny reads our blog regularly, and I know he will enjoy what you said ... as I love that you love listening to the music I selected.

    Sheila, I sometimes wonder if life is really more interesting now ... or if it just seems that way because now we are more inclined to "stop and smell the roses" that we might have just passed by when we were younger.

    And now, I need to go have a conversation with Yahn about what we're going to have for dinner.... (grin again)

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clara, I love your post. Don't kid yourself - you're a born writer - and quite an entertaining one. I look forward to hearing more about your interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raenell, I enjoyed your post. My husband is semi-retired, as in he has three part-time jobs but has a lot of time at home. I love it when he is "house-husband." Sometimes he even has dinner ready when I get home from work. Yes, it's easy to get used to!

    ReplyDelete