Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

THE REST OF THE STORY

Written by John David Steed

For those of you that attended our reunion in Childress this past October know that there were some of our classmates that you would recognize anytime anywhere and some that you would need to hear them talk a while to make that recognition. There were two couples that I would have recognized anywhere at anytime--Gayle and Kay Ann Whitten, and James and Nicki Wilcoxson. Shirley Neel was also a person that everyone would have recognized. Not that our other classmates didn’t look good, many had changed just as I have. I occasionally look in the mirror and wonder who that is looking back at me. My thought is as long as we have good health and a bit of joy in our hearts, things that we still look forward to and have somewhat enjoyed our journeys in life, then we are blessed.

Some of you may or may not remember that had it not been for bowling, James and Nicki quite likely would have never met. Nicki moved to Childress because her father would be operating our new bowling alley, which by the way, is now a farm supply store.

For those that were at the reunion I started to tell a story about being on a city league basketball team with James Wilcoxson about 30 years ago. If you were at the reunion you know that Wilcoxson looked great, very fit and toned. 30 years ago when I attended the first practice Wilcoxson didn’t look quite as good as he does now, he was slightly over weight and was wearing a full knee brace, but It was quite obvious that he still had that magical touch with the basketball. The other players realized if we wanted to win, that we needed to get the ball in the hands of the player with the knee brace. Wilcoxson made an exceptional 80+ percent of his shots from anywhere in the field. Wilcoxson was not in condition to stay in the entire game. When he came out we had another player that could hit 40-50% of his shots. While Wilcoxson was on the court our team would get ahead and while he was out our team would lose the lead. Fortunately Wilcoxson was able to stay on the court long enough that we won every game, and by the final playoffs his conditioning had improved enough that he could stay on the court the entire game, otherwise we would not have won the City Championship. I stated that I only shot once, that is because I wanted to win and with me shooting that would not be likely.

I was always amazed by the eye hand coordination that Wilcoxson exhibited in basketball, baseball, and golf. One night during our Senior Year Darrel Manuel and I saw James and a few other people in what was then a Gulf station, which was across the street from the Courthouse. Darrell and I pulled in to see what their discussion was about. Someone had bet Wilcoxson $20 that he could not stand in the parking lot and drive a ball up and over the courthouse. James had sent Johnny Mc to get his golf club and when Johnny returned he had brought the wrong club. After scolding Johnny for getting the wrong club, Wilcoxson stated he could do it even with the wrong club. Several people went to the other side of the courthouse. Wilcoxson told them to stay near the Childress Women’s Club, which was across the street on the opposite side of the courthouse. Wilcoxson placed his ball, took a couple of practice swings, and then hit the ball which disappeared into the darkness. The people that had gone to the other side of the courthouse came running back; the golf ball had rolled right up to the women’s club. I have now played golf for several years, have had as low as a 12 handicap, but on my best day I could never imagine making the shot like James did so matter of factly What a gift and I am so pleased that he chose to coach and hopefully guide some young athletes.


When we first spoke at the reunion we were asked to remember what we had said that we were going to do after High School. I thought that I was completing the statement which I had made on our Senior Personality articles that was that I planned to go to college and major in Science and Phys Ed. and become a teacher and coach. When I said I did that for three years, some thought I had only gone to school for three years. I meant that I had taught and coached for three years, not that I had gone to school three years. I hated teaching but I loved going to school. I earned my B.S. ed. in August of 1967, I had stayed out of school one semester to earn some tuition, but after that I went straight through and finished three months late. I earned my Masters of Education in 1977. In 1991, I had an abundance of money and time and decided to enter a MBA program at USC. I earned my MBA in December of 1993, and I earned my Doctorate of Jurisprudence in 1998. I am only adding this information because my friend Gayle Whitten asked me 3 times if I finished. It was the next day that I realized I probably had not been very clear, about achieving the goal that I had set to teach and coach. I love education and if I had no responsibilities and piles of money I would have stayed in school forever.

I hope that all of you stay in good health and spirits and that we can see each other again. I especially enjoyed my visit with Moose Meek, I think our sense of humor is quite similar. I wish that I would have had more time to speak to each of you, but I had to leave the next morning. Hopefully we can meet as a group somewhere, I would be willing to host a group at my house sometime, and would enjoy showing any car guys or girls my collection of cars and motorcycles, which includes my 1957 Yellow Ford, which Shirley Neel asked about.

Until Then, Stay Healthy, Smile and Enjoy

John David Steed

3 comments:

  1. John David, Thank you so much for taking the time to share "the rest of the story" with us. I am sure that many like you came away from the reunion wishing that we had planned more time to visit, clarify, and share much more with each other. Don't be surprised if at some point we take you up on your very generous offer for another get together! : )

    Jim is definitely taken back by your kind remarks and stories of his "feats" in the past. The incident (that is what I call it) seems to have made a real impression on alot of people on that infamous night in Childress when he smacked the ball over the court house much to the displeasure of the police and the prisoners in the jail cells. Oh Well, boys will be boys, right?

    You are right that had it not been for the new bowling center and our move to Childress from Muleshoe, Jim and I might not have met. The story of our actual first meeting is another story told often in our family. I wrote about in on the Reflections blog"
    Thursday, August 16, 2007
    Best Friends Forever (BFF) (post name)

    I really do share your love of going to school. In another life, I would love to have pursued more degrees mostly just for fun because I loved the university setting so much. Congratulations on perservering and succeeding in your pursuit of education.

    Thanks for sharing and we look forward to hearing more from you!
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. John David, welcome to the Voices blog ... and we hope you won't hesitate to return with some future post(s).

    I am still waiting to hear back from you as to when we might get together here in Dallas (or Fort Worth, or in between) ... and I will anxiously be watching the mail for the invitation to your house to visit and see your collection of vehicles, particularly the 1957 yellow Ford. Although given the status of our (long) pending dinner/lunch plans, perhaps I should not hold my breath ... grin....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I couldn't agree with you more about Shirley Neel. She hasn't aged a day since graduation. Doesn't she look great?!!
    Looking forward to the future.

    ReplyDelete