Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tea and Tweets

Tea Time
Written by Nicki Wilcoxson


It’s Tea Time! I have my tall glass with the Texas Tech logo on it full of ice and good tea. I am such an ice freak that at all times I absolutely have to have a full glass of ice with my tea so it is icy cold! Oh yes, and a straw—not sure why, but I always have straw. Right now, I am getting my caffeine fix, but after lunch I will turn to decaf. If you don’t have your cup or glass of tea (or coffee), I’ll wait a few minutes while you get comfortable.

Now, let’s talk.

My backyard birds have been on my mind quite a lot for the last couple of days. The weather has been extremely cold and bitter, and I never cease to be amazed at their ability to survive. I was also a bit of an abusive caretaker in that I didn’t feed them as much as I should have, and I could see the disappointment when they swooped down to the feeders to find them empty or almost empty. The two squirrels that frequent our yard were really puzzled not to find the usual peanuts and seeds that they have come to expect. On the whole our birds are a pretty spoiled and greedy bunch, but they do give me and even Jim moments of amusement and real pleasure as we watch their antics, listen to their sounds, and admire the beauty they bring us, so we continue to provide food and shelter.

Living where we live (in Amarillo) we don’t get the large variety of birds that some of you might in more wooded areas and environments that attract the songbirds, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, and all the other birds that I only see in my bird identification books, but I have learned a few things over the years. Whereas, at one point I would look out and see only “sparrows” –just little brown birds, now I know that there are all kinds of sparrows and what I used to think were sparrows could be finches of all sort and colors. I have also learned that if I want to attract a more diverse selection of bird visitors I can’t just toss out seeds and assume that they all like the same thing to eat. (Big mistake on my part.) Now I know that I have to provide nuts (peanuts) for those gorgeous and rowdy blue jays, safflower seeds and black oil sunflower seeds for the much desired cardinals, fruit in the spring and summer, and suet for everyone.

Not only that, some have different preferences for “dining areas.” The doves and some of the other birds (quail) are mainly ground feeders so we have a feeder sitting under a tree in an open space. The cardinals, blue jays and many of the others love the feeders that are up in the trees or hanging from the deck roof, and the poor woodpecker that only appears in the winter needs a feeder that allows him to hang and eat his desired fare. Then there are some smaller birds that love to pick thistle out of bags hanging from branches. Of course some birds are just little greedy guts and eat almost anything, anywhere. I could continue to talk about how much they hate “cheap” seeds full of milo, and other things they just kick on the ground and leave to grow into weeds, and how surprised I was to learn that robins don’t have any interest in the seeds and the feeders, but instead scour the flower beds and lawns looking for worms and bugs, but suffice it to say that getting to know the birds and their personalities has been a real adventure.

As I have watched my feathered friends, I have learned many things. Not all birds are alike. They don’t eat the same things; they don’t eat the same way; they don’t all look alike, and I am quite sure if they were able to talk to me, I would find that each species would have strong and differing opinions about what we humans should be doing for them each day. They certainly don’t all like each other and often have big-big disagreements which they for the most part seem to work out over time. They sometimes band together for protection and to drive off predators. The have rules to follow. They are very territorial. Most birds are good and loving parents, and it is possible to watch the cycle of life and death right in our backyard. Additionally, they can be shockingly cruel to one another at times, but they have an amazing sense of survival.

Despite the fact that my birds can be pesky and messy and I certainly don’t always appreciate their actions, I continue to value their visits and appreciate the unique beauty and style of each one. They are a diverse group and all I have to do is watch and listen to them to know that I would miss them if they failed to come back to our backyard.

So very much like the humans in their lives. So very much like the humans in our lives.


Tea Tip: Jasmine Tea—a wonderful blend of green and black teas flavored with orange peel and jasmine flavor along with flavors of chamomile, lemon grass, and other natural flavors.

Jim and I tried it yesterday as a hot tea and enjoyed it thoroughly. We give it a 5 bag rating! (that is very good)
Thank you to Jennifer and Yahn for sharing the Jasmine Tea with us!

11 comments:

  1. Nicki, Yahn and I are pleased that you and Jim enjoyed the Jasmine tea ... and you are more than welcome.... I became hooked on Jasmine tea in Bali, and was able to find a good facsimile here in Dallas. I am delighted to introduce it and share it with someone who appreciates good tea!

    I so enjoyed your post, and can so relate ... we have our own little flocks of sparrows and finches and spectacular cardinals and those cantankerous (but gorgeous) blue jays. The jays were the bane of our old cat Jake ... no longer with us ... who was an indoor-outdoor cat. The jays loved to dive-bomb poor Jake every time he set foot outside. Our present cats ... Calamity, Gaius and Toody ... aren't allowed outside, but they sit and watch the birds from the picture window onto the patio, and twitch from head to tail with their unrequited hunter instincts. Little Joss goes for walks and has the run of the patio, but so far the birds have ignored him ... and he them.

    It is amazing ... and instructive ... to watch our feathered and furry friends. Not only are they a microcosm of our society and relationships with each other ... they also have much to teach us about the wisdom of banding together in times of trouble, and about unconditional love (more the furry friends than the feathered, I think). They all have their own distinct personalities, loyalties and quirks.

    Calamity runs the house; Gaius is the irresponsible teenage boy; and Toody does what Calamity tells him. They all are remarkably tolerant of their "brother" Joss.

    I've always been fond of what Winston Churchill said:

    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

    Thanks for such an astute and appropriate piece at this time of change and renewal.

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed the post. When I first retired, I vowed that I would spend most of my time sitting on the deck or in the house by the window watching the birds--no stress-no expectations. My friend laughed and said I would soon get tired of that. Of course I never have gotten to spend enough of my time sitting to let boredom in. When I am in the kitchen I can look out the window when I am working and I often call Jim in to see something happening with the birds. Our Chloe, the spoiled female cat, spends much of her time "hiding" in various place stalking the birds or the squirrels. On a couple of occasions, she managed to capture birds, but luckily we helped them escape.

    In the past we have had a hawk appear in the yard, and it is amazing how quickly the yard empties and thre is silence. Sometimes it takes a day or two for them to get brave enough to come back. I think it has been several months since Hawk's last visit so maybe he is gone for good.

    Of course, I could talk birds for a long time, but it really is an entertaining thing to have to do. We get a little attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must tell one story about dear sweet old Jake. Many years ago, when we first moved to Houston, we had a "kitty" door where Jake could come and go as he pleased. Once upon a middle of the night, I awoke and decided, as mothers will, to look in on Chiara and make sure she was all right. As I tiptoed in the dark from our bedroom into the hall, I stepped on something that didn't feel "right" at all. When I turned on the hall light, I found a squirrel that Jake had apparently caught, dispatched and placed to present us as a "trophy". Yikes!!! Of course I couldn't scold Jake ... he was only doing what came naturally. But it was a while before I got back to sleep that night....

    Fortunately if Jake had other "captures" over the years, we remained blissfully unaware....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can identify with the trophy incident. We have been blessed with several of these over the years, mice-alive and dead-ground squirrel-alive on the porch, birds-alive and dead. Thankfully we have had no squirrels and I have never stepped on any of them. Aren't our pets generous!

    Oh yes, one funny thing. We have an older kitty and he used to hunt for mice all the time. The last couple of years, instead of hunting animals and creatures, he hunts for small fuzzy balls that I keep in the house as toys and brings them to us in our bedroom in the middle of the night. He comes in meowing a muffled meow because he is carrying the ball in his mouth and drops it in the doorway. It took us a while to figure that out. It is really funny to see him standing in the doorway. Poor kitty!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay ... one more Jake story....

    Jake's favorite toys were little "busy balls" which had bells in them. He loved to play "fetch" with them. One of us would throw the ball, he would run get it and bring it back and drop it in front of the one who threw it. We'd throw again, and he'd "fetch" again ... over and over and over.... I've never known a cat before or since who would play "fetch" ... and we didn't teach him to do it ... it was just "his" game that he taught to us.

    As you can guess, even with our lovely, sweet "babies" who share our life now, we miss Jake a lot....

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother was a bird lover. She oohed and aahed over every bird sighting, making us appreciate the cardinals, jays, robins, and others. Our yard is now full of cardinals, and I think of her every time I see one. Don has always been a bird feeder, and we keep binoculars on the breakfast table to watch the activity.

    Bird watching was something I put on my list of things to do in my "old age". Surely I'm not there yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Jennifer mentioned, we had a huge black tomcat (neutered) named Jake. Not to slight our current, much loved pets, Jake was a one of a kind. It wasn't that he was particularly intelligent, unlike the darkly devious Calamity, the black and orange Tortie and smartest one in our current line up of animals. She gets poor little Toody, who's at the bottom of the animal hierarchy, to do her dirty work, like getting him to wake Mama in the morning when she thinks it's time we ought to be getting up and of course feeding cats. The gleefully amoral Gaius Maximus, who just can't resist mischief when it presents itself, still answers to Calamity.

    Joss the Morkie, our newest addition, is still trying to figure out where he stands with the cats. He keeps trying to play with them, but kitties just don't understand puppy play. It's fascinating to watch them all try to figure out their relationships.

    Jake was so huge that a friend of ours was coming over to our house for the first time and she asked if we had dogs. She had an intense phobia about dogs. We told her we just had one cat and that assured her. When she arrived at our house Jake came running out to greet the new guest. She screamed and started to get back in her car. She was sure that a cat just couldn't be as big as the black blur running toward her. He was the biggest, friendliest cat I've ever seen. She finally saw that he wasn't a dog, just a huge extremely friendly cat. Like everyone who encountered Jake, she was won over completely and always talked to Jake like he was one of our children. Jake never met a stranger.

    One other quirk of Jake's was he loved roses. He loved to eat roses. Our house at the time was lined with rose bushes but there were only blossoms above his reach on the plants. If I got roses for Jennifer, her favorite flower then, we had to lock them up in the bedroom or he would turn them over and eat every flower. Jake absolutely could not resist them. Other flowers didn't interest him. He also loved ripe olives. Strange tastes for a cat, no?

    Not to "Woo-Woo" anyone out too much but we are sure that Jake's spirit is still with us. Not only have Jennifer and I felt his considerable weight as he sometimes jumps up on our bed at night to say goodnight. Several of our overnight guests who never knew Jake have felt his physical presence on their beds at night. Sheila Martinez is one of our guests that comes readily to mind. She distinctly felt him jump up on her bed in the guest room and felt sure one our current pets had gotten into the room accidentally. She was then surprised to find no physical animal on the bed with her when she looked.

    As we often tell people, it's never dull at the Smith house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous that Jake would play fetch. I have tried to get ours to do that, but they just flop down and look at me. However, Chloe does play kitty soccer with the balls which is fun to watch. Jake does sound very special. You guys were very lucky and so was he!

    I am truly fascinated about the roses for kitty snacks! Our Bandie loves tiny marshmallows; Sparky loved doughnuts; Coalie loves to eat my yogurt, and Chloe is the strangest of all; she only eats cat food. Weird, uh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clara,

    Your yard is full of cardinals!!! I only have a small family of them. We think there are maybe 3 or 4. I would love more.

    I have a friend who lives in the canyon area here. There are tons of trees, a creek, and lots of wildlife so they have a plethora of critters to watch. She tells the story of a very snowy day a few years back when she looked out the window and saw a huge flock of cardinals that landed nearby in the snow and how breathtaking it was to see the splash of red in the snowy white. Sigh I wish I had been there.

    We really live in the wrong place to be birdwatchers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yahn is not crazy, I promise. I must concur with his story about Jake. I swear that cat was on my bed...and I was sober!

    Your pet that makes me laugh the most is Calamity. She has, since the first day we met, treated me just like Paula treated me. She wants to like me, but not really. She tolerates me. LOL...I think it is funny because she is the kitten Paula gave you before she left us. I think Paula whispered something into her ears to watch out for me!

    Nicki, Clara, I wonder if our bird fascination is due to the fact that just about the only bird we ever saw when we lived in Childress was the lowly gray/brown sparrow. I remember being in the
    2nd grade and being scolded and questioned by Mrs Bryant for watching out the window during one of our lessons. I told her that I was looking at a blue bird that I thought was a bluejay. She let every one stop their lesson and go to the windows of our classroom to see the beautiful blue bird. It was a rare sight for most of us. She was as thrilled as we were.

    Does anyone remember a student named Francisco who drew birds? He was with us for only part of the year during the first 3 years in school. I think he went to Chicago, but am not really sure. He drew the most beautiful bird pictures.

    Today...in this life here in Austin, when I sit out on the balcony of my little treehouse, sipping a cup of morning coffee,I can enjoy so many varieties of birds, like the Tufted Titmouse, Wrens, Robins, Cardinals, Mockingbirds, Sissortails, Mourning Doves, White-Tailed Doves, Hummingbirds, Cedar Wax Wings, Grackles, and I swear that I saw a Flock of BlueBirds last spring. Late at night(early morning) there are Owls that come and sit in my tree for a little visit. It is comforting to know that they trust us enough to get that close.

    My favorite sight is the trip out to San Marcos, traveling down IH35 near Kyle/Buda. There are just a phenomenal number of Red-Tailed Hawks, circling, always circling. Today I counted 13 between Austin and San Marcos. If you are lucky, and the hawk gets between you and the sun, you can see how beautiful his "red tail" is.

    Awesome...totally. Of course, you can't see to drive after being blinded by the sun, but it is worth risk to view the red tail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila,

    As I have said before, I am so envious of those of you who live in areas where you have such a fantastic array of birds. Some of the ones you mentioned sometimes migrate through Amarillo and I look forward to seeing them from time to time.

    You will be happy to know that there are many blue jays in Childress now. I think if I lived there for any length of time I would put out feeders to see what we would attract. I suspect we would be pleasantly surprised.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete