Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Saturday, March 7, 2009

In Like a Lion

Tea Time
Written by Nicki Wilcoxson

When one hears the word “spring” as in “Spring has Sprung” I imagine that there are many words and concepts that spring to mind—tulips, daffodils, crocus, rain, Easter, Easter eggs, pastels, beautiful spring days, spring break, warmer weather and all the pleasant feelings that are associated with the end of winter, cold, snow, and ice. If you are currently experiencing any or all of those wonderful feelings (even though it isn’t technically spring”) and you have been plunged into a frenzy of spring cleaning, open windows, and the reappearance of summer clothing, then you probably don’t live in the Texas Panhandle. Most of us have always heard that March comes in “like a lion and goes out like a lamb” and that is most assuredly the way it is in Amarillo and surrounding areas. The lion is roaring very loudly outside my house today!

March is without a doubt my least favorite times of the year and that feeling applies all too often to spring in general. I think that for me, March of 2009 has all the
makings of an especially unpleasant time. In other words, I have a really “frowny” face when I think about it. We have not had rain since October, and as for snow, well, there were no snow days, sledding, snowmen, or snowball fights in Amarillo this winter. I bought a pair of Ugg boots with the idea that they would be so warm and cozy for the cold snowy days to come and I have to say that was not money well spent (in more ways than one if you know what I mean). I wore them once, for heavens sake!” Yes, we have had some cold days, but not enough to even kill the flies. I expect to see a mosquito at any moment.

Obviously, the lack of needed cold weather and snow, has made many people here very happy. Golfers are at the top of the list along with people who work outdoors. February was an especially glorious month and I don’t mean that as a compliment. On my calendar, February stands for days with snow, warm fires in the fireplace, and hot chocolate (perhaps I should say, hot tea because this is TEA TIME). I love my coat, gloves, and scarf. All winter long, I saw people dressed in shorts, short sleeves, and even flip-flops while I wore jeans, sweater, and a jacket. What is wrong with these people??? Just because it is 70 or 80 degrees doesn’t mean it is time to “dress down” does it?

I can best describe the weather in March here in the Panhandle as mercurial (changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic). March is just a big “tease”. The temperature can jump from 50 or less on one day to 80 or more the next and then back to cold. It is necessary to keep clothing from the winter wardrobe ready at a moment's notice and the summer wardrobe unpacked (if you ever packed it away) hanging close by—freezing in the morning and too warm in the afternoon. Days that start out with the wind calm and steady often end with gale force winds of 35 to even 50 or 60 mph. I hate it when the weather man talks about those highs and lows and dry lines that ebb and flow across us. Rain and snow fall on other towns and cities, but not here.

Because of the “drought” when the wind does sweep across the Panhandle, it is filled with sand and dirt and tumble weeds that roll down the alley and streets, packing tightly next to our fences, and houses. We can only hope for a change in the wind direction before we have to be the one to haul them who knows where! It is like playing tumble weed volleyball with our neighbors in Dumas or Lubbock. Spring Cleaning just doesn’t happen in March! When doors are opened, dead leaves and grass blow in and demand to be “swiffered” one more time.
Fine layers of dust on the furniture lend themselves to someone finger printing, “dust me” for all to see. (not in my house, of course! LoL or maybe that would be like a “grim grin”.) And then, as if March feels remorseful for its bad behavior, he (I think of March as male) gives us a deceptively lovely break in the form of a day of exceptional beauty and blesses us with lovely early daffodils, hyacinths, and crocus all of which will be ripped to shreds when the wind and dirt decide to whip and sandpaper them the next day.

March also brings the much anticipated Spring Break. School children and parents look forward to being outside, working in the yard, and the opportunity for children to have a prelude to summer. All too often, the reality of these carefree days are dashed as long delayed snow and ice sweep from the north to be followed by wonderful weather the next week when children are once again back in school and locked in classrooms. All in all it seems that planning a ski vacation to New Mexico or Colorado would be preferable to enduring a week at home with cranky kids. Oh Mercurial March….. What have you wrought upon us? I mean really, who wants to wear Uggs in March! I just say, “ugh” instead.

Sadly, March is also the time of year when young athletes find themselves freezing on the tracks, baseball fields and golf courses—that is when they aren’t sweltering on the unseasonably hot days. Spectators at track meets and baseball games travel with blankets, coats, and hats to fling around themselves just when the weather men predicted warm and we were given cold instead.

That the “time change” demanding that we spring forward comes March 8 is only fitting. Perhaps just one more inconvenience to add to an already not so delightful month.

On the other hand, maybe March has to be March with all of its uncertainty so we can
appreciate April all the more. When March blesses us with those beautiful days, we can take the time to stop and look for the hints of beauty that are still covered and pushing to get past the leftover leaves in the flower beds. Gently we can remove the debris and remnants of dead plants to make way for the living and growing. We can take deep breaths of clean air (when the wind isn’t blowing) and fill our bodies and minds with the promise of more to come. When the wind blows I need to remember that with wind comes an abundance of wind energy! We can be thankful for the snow and rain even if they come during spring break because we so badly need them and the kids can love building the snowmen in March just as much as they would have in December or January. We can be thankful that our young athletes are strong and resilient enough to persevere through the bad weather and that we fans are willing to stand watch and cheer even when it means we have to be strong and resilient, too. And, when the dust and dirt fill my house day after day, it’s probably only because I love to clean house often. Okay, maybe that is a stretch! This year we can even trust that March will be willing to bless us by going out like a lamb! I won’t even mention the threats of tornadoes and destructive hail and wind that come with the rest of spring.

The bottom line is that this cranky old lady needs to do a hand stand so the frown becomes a smile and count my blessings instead of cursing poor misunderstood mercurial March.

Oh my, did I forget to mention the appropriately named March Madness? Let the games begin!

8 comments:

  1. March in the Hill Country can also be a bust........90 one day, 40 the next. Pollen has been off the charts for months. Winds have been horrific, and no rain in the forecast.
    The good thing for me is the time change. I love the long evenings, porch sitting, etc. And I can always hope for much needed rain and mild temps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that we are not alone in Panhandle when it comes to yucky March weather. However, I am disappointed to hear about the winds in the Hill Country. Is there a windless place to live???

    I think I don't hate the time change as much now as I did when I was working. I will hate it in the morning though when I have to get up at the new 6:15 to get ready for church!! I will need tons of caffiene to stay awake no matter how good the sermon might be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicki, as I read your post, and the comments from you and Clara, I couldn't help smiling and remembering the old saying: If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait a minute ... it'll change!!!

    Here in Dallas we've had much the same as you have in Amarillo ... out running errands in jeans and T-shirts, perfectly comfortable ... only to exit the Kroger or the Target to a blast of frigid air that seems to sweep in just when you least expect it. Or, conversely, dressing warmly for errands and then sweltering before you get home. (Layering is such a wise move....)

    I've also been marveling at the gorgeous early Spring flowers that are on display everywhere here ... and crossing my fingers that we don't get a late freeze to spoil them all. And I feel there's a hit tune somewhere in the cacophony from my wind-blown wind chimes ... if only I had a musical bent to sort out and record all the tones!

    One of the worst ice storms I've seen was in (I believe) late March 2003, when we'd been to Las Vegas to check on the building of our house there and were on our way back to Houston when we got caught. It was simply impossible to get beyond the Dallas-Fort Worth area ... and the roads were impassable all the way to Austin and vicinity.

    For some strange reason (possibly yet another defect in my personality ... grin), I've always been perversely fond of the volatility of Texas weather in Spring ... although of course Fall is my FAVE time of year!

    As for those UGG boots ... I've seen photos of Hollywood celeb types wearing them with cut-off jeans and skimpy blouses, so.... I'll bet you'd look tres chic! Just as long as they're not WHITE UGG boots, which can't be worn until after Memorial Day, of course.... (grin)

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,

    I feel so much better now that I know I can put my Uggs to much better use as soon as I drag out my
    cut-offs and skimpy blouse. My guess is that Jim would have me locked away first for my own protection!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicki, You have made March in Amarillo sound so wonderful that I am in the process of packing the UHaul right now! I am on my way!!! LOL..kidding! Some of my strongest memories of living in the Panhandle include outrageous dust storms and running from those tumbling tumbleweeds! I think that is why I fell in love with Austin on my first trip down here. There is a lot of good to be said about rain, lakes, grass, green trees. There is also a lot to be said about cedar pollen and it's unreasonable fever which has finally released its grip on the community just in time for us to get ready for the Oak pollen to put us to bed. It is always something. Right?

    BTW...There is a lady who owns a ranch with lots of tumbleweeds. She started selling them on the Internet and is now almost as rich as Warren Buffett. Can you believe that??

    And ... Uggs are a fashion statement and must not be worn unless with very short shorts or mini skirts and very skimpy blouses. That is the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, your comment about the lady selling tumbleweeds is proof that with the right marketing, you can sell anything to anybody. It also puts me in mind of H.L. Mencken, who said that no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people.

    As for yours and Nicki's comments about the UGGs ... I guess one man's fashion statement is another man's fever dream ... or grounds for a protective order.... (grin)

    )O(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorsey, my son-in-law, wonders, "what you call it when you have hurricane-force winds and no hurricane. Oh yeah, it's called "Amarillo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicki, I keep wanting to thank Harold Simmons for the wonderful picture of Gay's Cafe. Not sure any of you know, but I worked for Mrs Gay forever in that little ole cafe. When I see that picture, OMG...the memories! It looks rather strange without the tumbleweeds hanging out by the front door just waiting to attack!

    oh...nicki, I am thinking that you should never apply for a job with the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce! I am laughing when I say that and hope you are too. There was a time in my life when Amarillo may just as well have been NYC. IT was so awesome, foreign, clean, cosmopolitan and all of those wonderful adjectives. In fact, Mrs Gay took me there on my first trip. You sound like a good candidate for the Keep Austin Weird lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete