Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Saturday, March 21, 2009

We get emails, lots and lots of emails.....

Bits and Pieces
Written by Betty Smith

I came home from work Monday night and logged on to email--can't live without emails, you know! The one that caught my attention immediately was titled "Hey Granny"-I smiled as I saw the subject because it meant one of my grandchildren had written me! What joy filled my heart! Usually, they're much too busy to email dear ole Granny because they can text me initials and half words that I have to have an interpreter explain to me because it's so much faster.

I'm going to share this one with you because it brought a tear to my eye.
Read it. You'll see why...

Hey Granny! How are ya? Havent talked to ya in a while.

I kinda sorta have a random question for you. There is a rodeo school called Sankey Rodeo School and they teach saddle bronc riding, which is something I wanna do. But its on a weekend in April and i definitely dont have the money for it. So im tryin to see if i can talk everyone in the family into gittin together on it as one big birthday present. And i was wondering if you could please help me out. This is something i have been wanting to do since last year, but i didn't have the money last year either. And incase you are wondering, its 400 dollars, but i can talk the family into splitting the cost, it wont be too bad. Please help me out.

Talk to ya latter Granny! Love ya and miss ya!

Not wanting to embarrass him, I won't tell you his name, but it's from my 18 year old grandson, who is currently attending college in Laramie, WY! God help us!

Obviously, I understand where the Bonc idea comes from-he's going to school with a bunch of cowboys and wants to be accepted..noproblem with that.

This is the child who would routinely build a ramp on the driveway and ride his bicycle off it at break neck speed, then wonder why he was a massive bump and bruise from head to toe all the time! So, yeah, I get that he's not afraid to fall off something-but a BRONC?!

You gotta be kiddin' me!

This was my reply:

Dear Lifted,

I don't know who you are, but obviously you've stolen my grandson's laptop and are using his address book to prey on his poor unsuspecting grandmother! How dare you?!? Give that boy back his computer right this minute! He would never ever suggest that his dear ole hard working Granny contribute to something so outrageous. If you're holding him hostage, you might as well let him go now because it's not going to do you a bit of good to ask for money for a bronc riding
school! And for goodness sakes, if you'r on drugs, honey, please get help! You really need it if you're going to continue sending ransom notes because you can spell worth sh**!

Think that about covered the subject??


Posted by Nicki Wilcoxson for Betty Merritt

3 comments:

  1. "Oh the times they are a changin"
    Betty, I couldn't agree with you more about the language shift. A friend and I were laughing just yesterday about how we don't "research" anymore, we "Google". Computers and texting have changed spelling for a whole generation of people.
    It is similar to what Shorthand did for our generation. What baffles me is that this shift is the rage and the kids are learning it like wildfire. To them, it is as easy as eating candy. Why can't we take this shift and apply it to Math or education in general.
    No telling how this will change our language in the next 10 years.

    I enjoyed your story and support your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm kinda slow and a lot naive. Whether this is a true story, or your imagination, it is a great reflection of our current times.
    Please continue to share your wit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look forward to Bits and Pieces. Each one is a surprise and I enjoy your stories and wit. This one did not disappoint me and of course, it made me laugh. The fact that it involved grand kids made it even funnier.

    I, too, look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete