Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Now Voyager ... A Dog's Life ... and a Wonderful World....

The Looking Glass
by Jennifer Johnston


Location of World

Rotating Earth, graphic from Wikimedia Commons,
permitted under GNU Free Documentation License


Okay ... we've had a couple of heavy topics for our last posts ... and while of course we must all necessarily confront subjects and events in our lives which are waaaaaay less than wonderful, it seems to me this is a good time to lighten up the discussion. So let's turn once again to Facebook (FB) and the myriad grins, smiles and sometimes outright laughs it can bring to an otherwise mundane day.

When I first became involved with FB, I thought it was most interesting, and a nice way to keep up with some friends, both from Childress and in other places. I didn't imagine at the time that it would be so delightful ... and broadening ... and consciousness-expanding ... sometimes uplifting ... and just plain FUN!

Our friend Mike Spradley (SpradMan) has recently resurfaced on FB (apparently he'd been absent because his employer somewhat unreasonably expects him to work while he is at work ... grin ... and there are territorial wars over the computer at home). After several exchanges with him in the past few days, I think perhaps he may be just about to send us another of his great stories for posting.

This morning I've learned that Denese Stevens Mills has been watching baseball and is off (again) picking blackberries (so good with heavy cream!); that Sue Yager is "ready for whatever Wednesday brings down the pike" (be careful Sue ... the gods take statements like that as a challenge! ... to which Sue responded:
":-) As nutzoid as it has been around here I ain't skeered of challenges!"); that Sherry Snider McKelvey has a loved one undergoing surgery, and I am sure many of us send good thoughts to her and the family. I've "talked" with Steve Fanning, between school terms right now, whose FB appearances, frequent e-mails, friendship and warm thoughts I appreciate so very much. And I've enjoyed "hearing" recently from so many others from Childress, including but in no way limited to Cindy Hargrave Short Bryant (with whom I had a lovely lunch a couple of weeks ago), Marsha Harris Thomas, Marilyn Harp Johnson (my cousin), Marilyn Baker Havens and so many others.

Last Sunday, I was so pleased to receive anniversary wishes on FB from Denese, Driscilla, Sheila and Brenda Henson Skraastad, who is having knee replacement surgery soon and to whom I sent good wishes for a speedy recovery ... my dearly loved Chris Watts ... and also my "new" FB friends (via Dog World) Ana Saulic from Belgrade, Serbia and Robin Wissinger from the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina.



Juan Mann, who began a "Free Hugs" movement, in Sydney, Australia
Photograph by Miles Li, released to public domain

Dog World (DW) has been a true "find" and has become a treasure.
Since Yahn has been ill, I've found myself needing to spend more time at home, so have had to cut out a lot of the volunteer work which I was so privileged to do, and so enjoyed, but which took me out of the house for longer than I can be gone right now. Although I've always loved reading, and have some "guilty pleasure" television shows, I also missed being able to interact with diverse people as I was able to do last summer and fall in various endeavors, some of which I have written about previously on both blogs. And I have been pleased to find that I can still do a little bit for the animals, and for other causes which interest me ... and have genuinely wonderful and sometimes moving experiences in truly ethereal cyberworld, without ever leaving the house.

When you join DW, you "adopt" a virtual dog (you pick the breed and the name, and state briefly the reason, if any, why you and your dog are there). Each dog has its own yard (with any number of settings ... urban, woodland, mystical, Japanese Zen, etc.) which you can choose or "purchase" as you gain points. I adopted (and named of course) Qing Ming the Shih Tzu. I have decked Qing Ming out in a little wizard scarf (with pirate earring), and he "lives" in an enchanted glade decorated with wisteria, Japanese maples, Japanese lanterns, a white cat, an owl, bluebirds and songbirds (the deer come and go, as they are wont to do ... grin), and flowers and elf cups and other things that are left for Qing Ming and me daily. I think I've given Qing Ming a peaceful, lovely, serene place ... and I do like to visit there during the day, but particularly in the morning when I'm having my first coffee and just before I go to bed at night. I've gotten a lot of "stars" and FAVs and nice compliments and many, many gifts from other DW denizens.

I wish I could show you the picture of Qing Ming's "yard" ... but it is unfortunately not amenable to copying. It is interesting to visit other yards and see how other people have decorated ... and to leave stars and gifts for them. The exchange of gifts and stars and visits is how funds are generated for the SPCA to help real dogs in the real world.

Childress friends who have joined me in DW (and who visit Qing Ming in our yard) are Driscilla, Sharon Simmons Wadley, Sue Yaeger and Sheila Martinez ... and I thank all of them for their kindness in participating and devoting some time and energy each day to helping homeless, abandoned and mistreated/injured dogs. I have many "friends" from DW who stop by to visit Qing Ming each day, leaving little gifts and notes on our page which are sometimes so much fun, and so touching, to read. (One must store or sell gifts to keep from becoming overwhelmed ... but selling generates more points to be used on dogs in need of help.) And I have been really blessed to have made "new" friends in DW who are now my FB friends also ... some from far-flung corners of the world, who take their time each day to send little notes and tokens.

This morning (and for the past many mornings) I awoke to a veritable flurry of virtual hugs, kisses, hearts, gifts of angels, bouquets of flowers, rounds of drinks and other esoteric things. Thanks to some of my FB/DW friends I was virtually drunk on my ear before noon last Saturday ... grin .. but at least I was still able to drive (I don't think they have a charge of VDUI yet, although the nice gestures are a bit intoxicating at times). And let me tell you, "virtual" or not, so many good wishes and thoughts cannot help but brighten a day! In addition to all the great DW interactions I've received from Driscilla, Sharon and Sue (Sheila's been MIA for a while, but I know she is so busy) ... I also find myself lifted and encouraged by a diverse group of people from literally around the world and all over this country, who send numerous DW and FB gifts and wishes, including but not limited to:


★ My dear friend Ana Saulic (mentioned in my May 15, 2009 post The Sounds of Silence ... Silent Blessings ... and Sweet Intoxication), with whom I've had extensive correspondence "off Wall" ... a truly lovely and caring young woman who is teaching me a bit of Serbian as we exchange messages, who sends DW gifts, and FB hugs, drinks, kisses, and quizzes (we have recently discovered that if we were dogs, we would both be St. Bernards ... dedicated, trustworthy, loyal, carrying small casks of cognac around our necks, which might not last long ... grin);


★ Tasom Benim, a Turk who lives in Germany (though he and his family maintain a house in Izmir), who is teaching me some Turkish, who also is a St. Bernard (except he thoughtfully adds Suisse chocolate and Havana cigars for those who are so inclined);


★ Lovely young Line Victoria Pedersen, a Scandinavian blond, who is so bubbly and delightful and loves life and love itself as well as dogs ... who calls me "Sweeeteeee" and is Posh Barbie to my Mardi Gras Barbie (this morning she sent me an angel and I sent her a happiness fairy, along with exchanging hugs);


★ Philippe Beyne from Angoulême, France (a very generous man who has sent many gifts and hugs and thoughts ... he is too kind), who doesn't seem to mind my fracturing his beautiful language and who is about to come to the U.S. to visit his daughter in New York City;


★ Phang Yoke Kiew from Malaysia, a very talented photographer, whose pictures posted on FB are beautiful, who has also imparted a bit of basic Malay to me in our exchanges;


★ Mark Bishop from Bristol, England who has talked about taking his kids to an amusement park near their home (even though it was cold that day);

Daniela Stoycheva

★ Daniela Stoycheva from Bulgaria, who found as I have that sometimes if you "reach out in the darkness you may find a friend" as the old song goes, and who is incredibly generous with her spirit as well as her gifts;



★ My long-time treasured friend Anna Gurov from St. Petersburg, Russia, who adores Chekov, her beloved Gurov, and her little dog;
and

★ the aforementioned Robin Wissinger (Qing Ming is carrying on quite a puppy love infatuation with her Gracie); Dana Wright (Princeton/Trenton, New Jersey ... a prolific giver of gifts); Juliana Arenson-Berry (Los Angeles ... very involved in animal and other causes); Robyn Brown-Sojka (Chicago ... who has a son serving in Iraq and likes green tea, Barack Obama and Matthew McConaughey); Karleen Heinz (Peoria, who would be a Beagle if she were a dog); Steven Ross (New York City), whose dog Sunny is a great friend of Qing Ming's; and Trina Jennings (West Palm Beach, Florida).

In addition to these FB and DW friends, Qing Ming's yard usually gets around 100 "hits" a day, and most of these generous people leave gifts, stars and comments on how much they like the yard, or where they live or just general greetings and wishes for a nice day. And I must say that even when things aren't going as well as they might, all of these gestures certainly bring a warm glow and a lift to the heart.

In addition to FB/DW "touches" I always enjoy receiving e-mails from Nicki, Linda Kay, Clara, Raenell, Sheila, Driscilla and others ... and I am amazed once again (continuously) by the "miracles" of the age in which we live. Not so long ago (in the first third of the last century, and beyond), it was not uncommon that once you "left home" you might never see it, or hear from the people there, again! As previously noted, the blog(s), and e-mail and in my case FB and DW have so expanded and enriched my life ... kept the sense of "connection" with longtime friends and dearly beloveds alive and glowing, and have allowed me to venture virtually to places which I may never otherwise have the pleasure of going, despite my penchant for extensive travel. Hey ... there's only so much money and so much time and so much health to allow one to travel so far ... and in the absence of the real thing, substitutes are gratefully (and gracefully, I hope) accepted.



Bette Davis in Now Voyager (public domain)

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." And I am reminded of my "old friend" Lao Tzu, who wisely posited that the journey of a thousand miles ... indeed any journey ... begins with a single step.

So, whether you begin your "travels" with a step, or a drive, or an ocean voyage, or a flight, the turning of a page or the click of a mouse ... just keep movin' (figuratively and literally) for as long as you can.

I leave you with wishes for a day (and days to come) where you voyage
widely and well ... for experiences to light your fire, feed your soul, enhance your existence and help you "slip the surly bonds of earth" ... for the will to continue growing and learning ... and that you may find whatever sustains you and makes you happy and brings peace and serenity to your life as you continue on your journey....

)O(

My Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment