Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Monday, June 15, 2009

Our Great Adventure: Jim and Nicki

Posting from somewhere off the coast of Alaska,
Nicki Wilcoxson

My fascination with Alaska and Canada started many, many years ago when I was in high school. As is well known I love to read and somehow, and I wish I could remember how, the book, Mrs. Mike, came to me and I loved it so much from the beginning. I was fascinated with the Canadian Rockies, the snow, the cold weather, the primitive lives, and the main character. I was totally mesmerized with the romanticism of the whole thing. Of course this book was set in Canada, but Alaska seemed to be so much the same. I knew I wanted to visit both places someday. This feeling intensified when the television program, "Northern Exposure," was on because I loved that show and then later I really loved, "Men in Trees".

Well, someday is here now, because much to my surprise, we are actually HERE in Alaska--cruising our way along the Misty Fjords and watching with fascination the chunks of ice floating by the ship. I am not at all sure that Jim is as happy to be here as I am and my daughter, Kim and her husband Vince and son Cole are, I am certain, doing this trip for Mom because "she" has always wanted to go. Jim's idea of any trip and vacation has to include golf and that just isn't happening here in the North, and Kim and family love the beach, the sun, and water. Well, here there is a lot of water and sun all day and that means from about 4:00 AM to 11:30 PM. It is so strange to go to sleep when it is still daylight. In fact, it never really gets dark at all. Alaska is gearing up to celebrate summer solstice this coming weekend on June 21. We are all having a hard time adjusting to the time change of 3 hours earlier than it is back at home in Amarillo.

Jim and I flew to Anchorage on Saturday, June 13, and after delays, and the time change it was about 2:00 AM back in Amarillo when we got to our hotel. It seemed that with the 6 1/2 hour flight and all that, we didn't get to eat or sleep and for us old folks that was really painful.

Getting ready for this trip was a bit of an ordeal as well. We had to wait until weather reports were more accurate for the time we would be here to know whether to bring warm clothing or clothing for much higher temperatures. They told us that temps have fluctuated a lot with 80-90 degrees and down to 50's and 60's. I am happy we are on the cold end because it would be hard for me to equate hot with Alaska. We came with layers of fleece and water proof clothing and hiking and walking shoes for the excursions.

Jim and I have never been on a cruise before and getting on this huge ship, fitting into our tiny stateroom, dining with 100's of people and just generally getting acquainted with cruising has been a learning experience. Sadly, we have both eaten more desserts in the 2 days on board than we have eaten in a month! Food is so readily available and pretty darn good so it is hard to resist.

Since our cruise began in Anchorage, we are sailing the south route out of Seward. On Sunday the 21st, we will dock and depart out of Vancouver, so I will be able to say I have at least been to Canada!. To get to Seward, we had a 3 hour bus trip from Anchorage. Our driver was a cute young man that I like to call a sit down comedian. As he drove us along the way, he kept us laughing with his humor and wonderful bits of information. One thing I learned is that the Seward Highway is one of the world's most scenic highways, and yes, it is beautiful.

I am in awe that Alaska is still so beautiful and yet it does still cling to a more primitive way of life with its tiny villages and towns and for the most part a more simplified way of life. The wildlife is awesome and we still stand in amazement when an eagle, bear, moose or whale is sighted. Except for the ocean, I kind of see Alaska as a super sized Colorado. I love the fresh, clean pine tree smell.

For 2/12 days our ship will be at sea. That gives us plenty of time to settle in, explore the ship, and relax after our harrowing days of packing, and traveling before we left Amarillo. Starting on Wednesday, we will have 3 days for off-ship excursions. We are looking forward to exploring. In my rush to get to the airport on time, I left my camera battery charging at home so I have no camera with me. Luckily Kim has a great one and she and Vince have already taken over a 100 photos.They came 3 days early for a fishing trip where they managed to catch plenty of Salmon to ship home. In addition they had many adventures. They came face to face with 2 bears and managed to film the experience. Because of the inconvenience of Internet use on the ship, we have to get the photos transferred to me so I can share them with you guys--not all 100, I promise.

For now, I am going back to the stateroom as I am in the Explorations Cafe which is the Internet Cafe in other places. I have a yoga class in the morning and Jim will be working out in the great fitness room that allows us to work out and view the ocean at the same time!

Cruise ship: the Statendam Cruise Line: Holland America.

No comments:

Post a Comment