Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Sunday, June 28, 2009

There Must Be a Better Way To Mash a Banana

Written by

Nicki Sooter Wilcoxson


Occasionally I take inexpensive small online vacations touring blogs written by other people. I never cease to be amazed by the things I see and read during my short trips through blog land. Two blogs that I always make it a point to visit are written by the daughter of one of our Class of '63 classmates, and I must say that she (Terrell) reminds me very much of her mother. Terrell has a strong sense of independence coupled with a wonderful subtle sense of humor. Add in a lot of creativity, an amazing ability to see the world in an off-beat, non-boring manner and her posts become delightful vignettes guaranteed to make the reader smile and often laugh out loud. Oh yes, I had better mention that Terrell has a double dose of Childress genes as her dad is a Childress graduate, too! Maybe that is why she is so very talented, much like my own daughters!

Recently, Terrell wrote about an injury that she had received as the result of an impulsive decision that she probably later regretted. However, we all know that stuff happens and hindsight is always better than foresight in many instances. We have all had those moments when we have to stop and think, "What was I thinking?" when in reality we probably weren't thinking at all. It is like trying to learn to skateboard at the age of 60 or climbing on the top rung of a ladder when we know better or sticking a tongue to a frozen pole just for fun or trying to keep up with the 30 year old "kids" on the treadmill. Many of these often end in excruciating pain and/or extreme embarrassment.
Terrell very cleverly calls her post "Obligatory Embarrassing Injury of the Year" and it inspired me to confess a similar "stupid human trick" of which I have been guilty recently. Actually, I have so many to choose from but this is the one I will share.

As a rule I spend most of my time wearing comfortable shoes, sandals, and mules because after a life of spending much of my time on my feet, I think comfort should have the final say most of the time. However, I really do love shoe shopping and I occasionally treat myself to shoes that make me look taller, or more dressed up, or even feel sexy. Okay, now I am laughing! A couple of years ago I bought a very trendy great-looking pair of wedge sandals while shopping with my daughter, Kim, in Dallas who voiced apprehension that even though the shoes that I tried on were really cute, perhaps the heel was a bit too tall for what I am used to wearing. Translation, "Mom those are way too dangerous for a person your age." Against her better judgment, I had to take them with me. I couldn't wait to show them off when I got to her house so I put them on, took about 5 steps and fell on my booty. Without saying a word, I took them off and handed them to Kim who was giggling while she managed to tell everyone, "I knew, I would get a new pair of shoes today!"

But wait! That is not the end of the story. Always having been a slow learner about some things, I later purchased another pair of wedge sandals with a shorter, more sensible heel and YES they are very comfortable. I really love them and I wore them all last summer very successfully. About a month ago, once again in Dallas, I wore my shoes to the Tom Thumb to grab a couple of things. It didn't take long and then I was on the way out to the car carrying two sacks with a few items. Suddenly, there I was on my hands and knees on the sidewalk in front of the store with my few grocery items scattered around me. I had literally fallen off on one of my shoes!

Now picture it! As fast as I could, I jumped up, slipped on my offending shoe, gathered my groceries and took my wounded self home. Well at least my pride was wounded--my body not so much except for a skinned knee and elbow. This time I wasn't about to tell "the family", but while I was putting everything away, I pulled out the bananas or what was left of them because two of the four were no longer in their natural state. They were all smashed as if they had been in a blender. I can only assume that my knees were responsible for smashing them into mush. I certainly don't remember doing that, but I do know that I did NOT SIT on them!!

If only this could be the end of my story, but sadly it isn't over yet. On a Sunday morning about two weeks later, once again wearing the same cute sandals with the cork wedge heel because I had vowed not to hurry when wearing them, I walked out of the garage to get into the car where Jim was already waiting to drive us to church and we were a little late. I guess I got into a bit of a rush and right there in the drive way, I fell off my shoe again, jumped up and got in the car feeling like a total idiot one more time. I wasn't so lucky this time as I had to spend the rest of the afternoon lying on the couch with an ice pack on the side of my foot which was in severe pain because I had probably strained a muscle in my foot. I was so sure that the next day I would have to call my doctor and confess the sin of once more having fallen off my shoe. Luckily the next day I was much better, and I was spared the final humiliation of going to the doctor. No, I haven't worn my cute, cute black sandals with the cork wedge high heel again. I might be a slow learner, but I am not stupid. However, Kim isn't getting my shoes this time. I still have hopes of wearing them again another time. I think I might look really good and styling when I have a walker to wear them with!

Thanks to Terrell for being my inspiration.


Obligatory Embarrasing Injury of the Year









No comments:

Post a Comment