Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our Great Adventure Part 2: Jim and Nicki

Written by Nicki Sooter Wilcoxson


Monday, June 16, our cruise continued with an air of excitement across the ship. Today we would be cruising Glacier Bay in order to see the glaciers up close and personal. Two park rangers from Glacier National Park were brought on board to answer questions and present information. With binoculars in hand, I just knew that today would be the day that I would encounter a whale or some other sea creature. I kept hearing that whales were being sighted, but not by me! My son-in-law has been getting up early and doing the mile walk on the deck, and he insists he has seen many of them at that time. Do I really have to get up and out at 6:00 AM to see my whale???


It really is hard to try to describe what we saw all day. I heard "spectacular", "grand", "amazing", "awesome", and many more adjectives, and they are all correct. It is easy to forget that despite what we see today so many not so awesome changes have come to pass with the melting of glaciers and the impact that has made on the land. We did get to see "calving" taking place at one point and that was beautiful.

In the morning we will be leaving the ship for the first time since Sunday and we are looking forward to that. We will be taking a ferry for Haines, Alaska and on to points from there. I am excited and hope I will have more to share tomorrow night.

I finally have access to some of the photos Kim has taken so enjoy.


On their fishing trip to Kenai, they met a couple of fellow fishermen up close and personal! When I see this photo, I feel compelled to quote a popular children's book:

"Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see?"



"I see Kim and Vince looking at me!"







Black Bear, Black Bear, what do you see?
I see my dinner looking at me!
Kim and Vince, Kim and Vince what do you see?
I see 2 bears looking at me!
We had better run or their dinner, we will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment