Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Friday, August 21, 2009

Guilty and Not So Guilty Pleasures

Written by
Nicki Sooter Wilcoxson

Lately, I have been giving a lot of thought to things that I really enjoy doing--things that give me pleasure. Some of these things are not very good for me and are sometimes things that I could be spending my time in much more useful ways. However, at this point in my life, I have decided that good for me or not--it is okay and I might even say that I deserve to pamper myself or use my time in any way I like. Perhaps the key word is moderation. I think Jim adopted this attitude a long time ago and this allows him to play golf as much as he likes and be guilt free. He has even given in to moderation on some occasions and has been willing to take time out of his golfing to do home related chores or even give in to leaving his clubs at home on certain vacations and trips.

One of my most recent pleasures that I allow myself is to spend time relaxing in our backyard reading and sipping tea even when I have many many chores that I should be doing in the house. As with most things I find that I must have a rationale for such "irresponsible" behavior : ) and in this case my rationale is to allow my Chloe Cat to play outside safely in the yard without taking off for the neighbors or chasing her feline friends down the alley. She actually loves having me outside with her and will curl up beside me. When she gets bored and heads for the fence, we know that it is time to take a nap inside.

Naps are another guilty pleasure that can be enjoyed in moderation. These are often necessary after working out at the gym or working around the house for a couple of hours. My problem is that the naps can stretch out for more time than can be justified as guilt free. Of course, that just means that I can stay up later if I want to. The key is to work harder during awake times!

As I have said before another pleasure for me is watching television. Jim and I both spend way to much time on this activity. He adores the golf channel and no matter what is on, he enjoys watching it. For example he watches golf matches from ages and years ago as well as recent or current tournaments. I have tried to ban the paid commercials and programs about all the new golf gadgets and miracle working equipment because they have a tendency to end up in our garage at some point! He is already throwing out hints for a golf GPS "gadget" for Christmas. Many of his friends have them now. My only concern other than the high price is whether or not he can actually learn to use it. However, if he is truly motivated maybe he will put it to good use if Santa leaves it in his stocking.

I, on the other hand, have become addicted to watching the Real Housewives series. While I find them generally disgusting because of the total addiction to material things and over inflated egos, I just can not watch. You know that old cliche about knowing a train wreck is going to happen, but you just can't stop watching! That is exactly the case here. However, I can "enjoy" their antics, cringe at the foolish behavior, and remain totally amazed at the embarrassing behaviors that unfold each week. My favorite "real" housewives are the New York group"; my least favorite are the Atlanta "ladies" (actually not so lady like with wig pulling, cursing, and back stabbing), and I watch with little passion the Orange County group. The jury is still out on the Real Housewives of New Jersey. The first year was--well what can I say--it was "interesting" with "hissy" fits and table tossing. I am anxiously awaiting the time when we will see some Real Housewives of Dallas. That, in my opinion, would be a real hoot. By the way, Jim refuses to watch any of the shows and well, I just can't understand his attitude. Lol I'll bet he would be happy to watch the "Real Babes" on the golf tour. (Yes, they do exist)

Another of my pleasures that really has to be approached in moderation is eating frozen custard. For years I rejected the very idea of frozen custard, preferring the occasional ice cream and frozen yogurt. That was before a friend introduced Sheridan's Frozen Custard in Frisco and in Lubbock. Yuuuuummy stuff. Now I have found Freddy's frozen custard in various places including the one very close to my daughter's house in Flower Mound. I think Freddy's might actually be in Highland Village. I have introduced both grandsons to this guilty pleasure and they love it, too. Jim is right there with us! I can only pray that they both avoid Amarillo for a location! Moderation would probably go right out the window and straight to my hips and thighs!

One comment on a past guilty pleasure that we have discussed before. I have always really enjoyed "Dancing with the Stars," but I have to say I am not too excited about the new 16 "stars". I will give them a try, but..........time will tell after September 21.

Other guilty pleasures and not so guilty pleasures include pedicures, gourmet pizza (575 Pizzaria) in Amarillo, and lunch with friends.

Life is Good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment