Up and Running Again

For a period of time some additions and updates will be made on the Voices blog. Your input is welcome if you would like to add or update information about yourself or about our Class of '63 friends. You can contact me, Nicki Wilcoxson, on Facebook by sending a message to me there. Your contributions are welcomed. January 17, 2012

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Message From Dr. Phil

A few days ago Jennifer received an email from a former classmate in the CHS Class of '63.  As most of us already know, Phil Tutor is/has been a pastor at a church in Arizona.  Additionally he works with a ministry in Africa and for all of these things and more we admire him very much.  At Phil's request we are posting his message.  It is important to us and to our blog to be able to once again hear the voices of our classmates and old friends.  The is one of the ways we have of reconnecting with old friends and getting to know one another as we are today.

By the way, please take note that we now have our own "Dr. Phil".  We offer our congratulations to Phil on receiving his Doctor of Ministry degree.  We look forward to hearing from him in the future, too.

Phil writes in his email:  Hey Jenn, hope this doesn't catch you off guard since I've been silent these last few months. Just been covered up with the transitioning of our church and bringing a young pastor up to step into the pastoral role which will allow me to do more traveling and church building in other part of the country. Will you please post this on the class blog. All checks can be made to: New Life City Church, Africa trip. Thanks. I'll catch up with you later. Blessings on you!  Phil  p.s. I finally got my Doctor of Ministry degree and will be sworn in as a chaplain for the Department of Public Safety next month. No retirement in sight!!!!! 
 A Message from Pastor Phil:
  •  This past August 16th was my 65th birthday.  Historically in this country, 65 is retirement age, or as some call it, "the golden years."  A Canadian study defined "the golden years" as having good health, a meaningful life, and money.  God has been very gracious to me in the area of health, although I've had prostate cancer, (no recurrence in six years), stints in my heart (still clear after five years). and a motorcycle accident which cost thousands and left me with a leg full of steel.  But all in all, I am very healthy.
  • Of course, as I mentioned in my sermon at Pastoral, Elder Page Hart's installation, I am far from done, nor am I considering retirement.  In fact, I am as fired up as ever about what the Lord is doing locally, and also in other national and international relationships.  As far as a meaningful life in the future, God is opening another season for me with greater opportunities than ever.  Let me explain with some detail.

  • A few years ago I made a conscious decision to stop trying to be successful and focus on being significant.  Since that time along with my ministry at New Life City Church, doors of opportunity have opened in Rwanda and Burundi, Africa. I've made three trips in the last two years to these great nations, with incredible God sized results.  Not only have I led pastors' conferences, but have had doors opened to presidents, mayors, and political leaders.  I am so grateful to the Lord for giving me the opportunity to serve him anywhere he opens doors; of course, I cannot do this work alone.

  • Although my health and a meaningful life are in place, as with most ministers in small churches, money is an issue( and especially in these financially trying times).  Since Rwanda and Burundi are third world countries, I travel at my own expense.  The cost for trips on average is $15,000.  This may seem like a great deal of money, but the cost is much more than for my travel, etc.  Most pastors in Africa, if not all, must work full time while they also pastor their respective churches.  For them to attend a conference, they must take off work.  Unlike in America, most Africans live day to day.  Thus, it is necessary for me to cover travel, food, housing, meeting facilities, sound systems, curriculum, etc.  But again the investment in the lives of these pastors and other leaders is immeasurable.  Everything I teach and preach gets preached and taught in cities and villages all over the region; this multiplies the word God has given me for His glory.

  • I'm asking you to prayerfully consider sowing a sacrificial financial seed (money) into my next trip occurring October 11th through the 28th.  I really need you to partner with me, and frankly, time is of the essence, since the cost of international tickets is at an all time low.  As of today, the money has been pledged for the flights to Rwanda and Brundi, so by faith I'll be purchasing them by the first of September.  I am believing God for the balance.
     
    Phil Tutor, D.Min.
  • P.S.  Remember your seed sown could change literally thousands of lives for the Kingdom of God.I am praying now for God's blessings as you pray and hopefully give.
New Life City Church
3754 S. Highway 191

PO Box 836
Safford, Arizona 85548


                                          To enlarge, click on the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment